Remember me
Lost Password Register

Area Scuba Clubs
05-02-2006, 03:10 PM,
Area Scuba Clubs
Thanks to some good friends of mine I became the president of the Rochester Scuba & Snorkel Club.  (At least they tell me I am their friend  Big Grin)  I am wondering what other scuba clubs do in Minnesota for underwater games and such?  Thanks for any ideas and suggestions you can provide.

Joe
05-02-2006, 08:05 PM,
Re: Area Scuba Clubs
Weeeeellll!  There's underwater hockey, under-ice golf, some of the guys had an Easter Egg Hunt, Underwater Pumpkin Carving contests, Turkey Dives, Smith Diving is hosting their Treasure Dive on Sunday, May 21st.    Then there's just plain outings to various lakes...Add an attraction to a platform or create a platform on Square Lake (for those who are bored with what's there already.)  Or take a cue from the "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" movie and search for people (mannequins for safety reasons, possibly.)  The shores of Superior have agates that are awesome when polished up.  After all, there is that place called "Agate Bay." 

O.K. that's all the ideas this brain can dish up for now!  Have Fun!  After all, isn't that what it is really about!?!?!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-02-2006, 09:39 PM,
Well of course congratulations are in order.    WHERE'S ROCHESTER? 

Does the membership have a dues?

JUST KIDDIN... CONGRATS.

max
05-03-2006, 08:43 AM,
DiverQueen - What do you do for your treasure hunt? 
05-03-2006, 04:25 PM,
That's Smith Diving 24th Annual Treasure hunt! 

Not me!! 

I'd lead you in the "Way Wrong Direction" >Big Grin 

The way I understand it, divers look for numbered bricks.  The number on the brick corresponds to a random prize.  Not as in the higher or lower number equals a better prize.  There are also "Gold and Silver Coins" in the water...We'll see!  This year will be my first opportunity to dive this event!
Best Wishes for a fun dive season...Feel free to send me a personal message if you need any more ideas borrowed from my friends!!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-03-2006, 05:06 PM,
I'm assuming they don't place the bricks in real silty areas?  I'd imagine a brick placed on the bottom of Square Lake near the platforms would sink down 2 feet into the muck and would be awfully hard to find.
05-05-2006, 10:48 AM,
This will be my 4th year in a row participating in the Smith Diving treasure hunt.  The area that is setup for this event is near the swimming beach.  Typically there are 20-35 divers digging around in the silt and stirring things up.  Vis can vary a lot.  It can be as good as 3-4 feet or as poor as 3-6 inches.  Basically you just feel around with your hands until you find a brick.  Then it's off to the coin field to find some dollar coins, half dollars, etc.   Usually less than 1/2 of the people elect to search for the coins so the coin field is not as crowded.
05-06-2006, 10:40 AM,
Congrats!

Find ways to get your group together and support your local dive locations, local dive center, and not so local dive charters.  Usually, you can find some discounts if you have a group of divers all wanting to do the same thing.  Most importantly keep your group diving  anything creative that you can come up with to keep them diving is always a good thing
G/L
deano
Oops Did I really say that?????
05-13-2006, 08:15 AM,
Thanks again for the ideas and input!  In April we did a under water poker game.  We setup of 7 under water stations, each station consisted of a lead weight, a bobber that floated about 3 feet off the bottom and then a string of poker chips that we hooked on a piece of wire after drilling holes in them.  We gave each team the compass heading to all seven stations, starting with the first one.  They were supposed to find each station and take two poker chips.  When they completed all seven stations they turned their chips in for poker cards.  The team that could put together the best hand won.  We had each person put in $5 dollars to  play the game and the first place team split about $60.  We also had  second place team prizes and other small gifts. The next time we are going to give away gift cards to the LDS so the cash stays in the diving community. 
05-13-2006, 10:04 AM,
That sounds like a neat idea..cudos....and way to keep the money going to the LDS's...
Oops Did I really say that?????