Remember me
Lost Password Register

Photos -- Cozumel 4-11 March 2006
03-13-2006, 01:40 AM,
Photos -- Cozumel 4-11 March 2006
Our group of Rochester divers returned from Cozumel on Saturday.  Here are a few photos.

Reef Critters

Dos Ojos Cenote #1

Equipment:
Canon Digital Rebel SLR
Ikelite housing
Dual Ikelite 100 substrobes
Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens + dome port
Canon EF 100mm macro lens + flat port
03-13-2006, 07:46 AM,
Re: Photos -- Cozumel 4-11 March 2006
Those are GREAT pictures. Thanks!
03-13-2006, 09:27 AM,

Me Too!
03-13-2006, 12:55 PM,
WOW! Nice! How come some are B&W?
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
03-13-2006, 01:21 PM,
Is #4 the start of Tunich?
looks like my memory anyway... nice stuff.  maybe my next trip I can work in the Cenote dives at the end of the trip too... keep seeing pics that make that look fun!
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-13-2006, 02:11 PM,
Thanks everyone -- it's nice to have positive feedback from an attentive audience.  Smile

Sagacity -- I converted the ambient-light photos to b&w because the details are more apparent that way.  The human eye is most sensitive to green light, so I generally take the green channel (and add a bit of the blue and red channels if needed) for a greyscale image.  When left in its natural blue color, things look pretty washed out because the eye gets overloaded with all that distracting blueness.  Plus it just looks cool!

Tullibee -- #4 was near the start of Cedral Wall, but we stayed on top of the ridge.

I'm always amazed by our dive guide Jorge from Blue Angel -- he repeatedly finds things like 1/2" spotted drum juveniles based on the fact that they don't move from their little caves.  He knows the sites so well that he can swim directly over to the right place.  I can recognize parts of the Palancar reefs, but not at that level of detail.

I'd definitely recommend some cenote dives if you get the chance -- be sure to allocate a full day for it.
03-13-2006, 02:27 PM,
Very cool! and nice effect - and I really like B&W b/c of the detail and contrasts that it provides. Judging from how small the divers appear in the shots, its amazing how clear the photo came out being so far away. Unless you used a wide-angle lens...reading your first post, looks like you did have a wide angle.

KUDOS! GOOD JOB!
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
03-13-2006, 08:16 PM,
Very nice photos.  Great job.  I really like the puffer. Lots of personality in that shot.
03-14-2006, 11:55 AM,
I was in cozumel diving the exact same week. Did you notice that after the hurricane alot of the reefs were covered in sand more than usual? Kind of like an underwater snowstorm. Where did you do the cenote dives? I didn't even know they had cenotes on coz.  What reefs did you guys dive?

We dove tormentos, palancar, delilah and a few others i forgot the names of.  ;D

Incredible photos by the way!!!
&quot;Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose.&quot;-Benjamin Disraeli
03-14-2006, 12:04 PM,

Was it actual sand, or whitened coral - also known as "Coral Bleaching" - which makes the coral look like its covered in sand, but its really the stressed coral dying.

I guess I'll find out tomorrow, and in the following week  ;D

How was Cozumel otherwise?