Remember me
Lost Password Register

Spare Air
03-08-2002, 09:09 AM,
Spare Air
So, what do you think of Spare Air? There's a lot of controversy about its place in scuba...<br><br> ???
03-08-2002, 12:38 PM,
Re: Spare Air
<br>I was just reading some interesting threads about spare air yesterday on scubaboard.  <br><br>I play with computer servers all day long so I like the redundancy aspect.  But, the problem with spare air seems to be its lack of air.  It sounds like a pony bottle is a more reasonable solution.<br><br>Ultimately your buddy should be your spare air.  Or, you should think about running twin tanks for redundancy.
--Jason
03-11-2002, 05:28 PM,
I definately wouldn't buy Spare Air.  I'd buy a pony for deeper diving or maybe for diving Superior.  Pony's seem like a much more reliable and safer solution.  If you think about it you also get to choose a REAL first and second stage regulator for your pony and not a chinsy piece of junk like on the spare air, and of course like Jason said you get more air with a pony too.  To me it's a no brainer.  Also, I don't think it's necessary to have pony for all diving, it can't hurt...but isn't absolutely necessary for local diving IMO.
04-23-2002, 07:43 AM,
Quote:<br>I was just reading some interesting threads about spare air yesterday on scubaboard.  <br><br>I play with computer servers all day long so I like the redundancy aspect.  But, the problem with spare air seems to be its lack of air.  It sounds like a pony bottle is a more reasonable solution.<br><br>Ultimately your buddy should be your spare air.  Or, you should think about running twin tanks for redundancy.
<br><br>I am not sure what you meant about twin tanks. Do you mean twin tanks on a maniford to one reg. If so you still have the single point failure of the one reg. Or did you mean a standard tank being used like a pony would be with its own reg? This would give you lots of researve time. Smile<br><br>I know divers who don't carry an octopus or any other support air. And even does solo diving this way. If you can afford it go with the Pony but the Spare Air is better than nothing even with a Buddy. I like the idea of my own redundant air that does not depend on the buddy. Even a good buddy can get separated in low vis. However I do not currently dive this way.<br><br>In order of safety I would think the following:<br>1 Standard Tank being used like a Pony with own reg (But maybe extreme overkill)<br>2 Pony bottle. If you are trapped somehow the extra time could be critical to escape.<br>3 Buddy breath with Octo.<br>3.5 Spare Air. For simple dives. Spare air will get you to the surface comfortably unless you like to push the deco times Sad. Are you an aggressive diver?<br>4. Buddy breath without Octo.  Practicing the procedure at the beginning of dive.<br><br>
Leon
05-01-2002, 10:42 PM,
He was probably referring to twin tanks, with manifold, and dual regs, one on the right and one on the left with an isolator.  But, we all know how assumptions go....<br><br>I would consider a Spare Air for traveling because you don't need it vis'd when you get to you destination, works well for most rec diving, and easy to pack and typically no extra charges unless you declare it.<br><br>For diving around here: go with the pony.  More options for configuration, more air (30 cuft vs 3 on the spare air), and true redundancy.<br><br>I agree with diving with a buddy and using them as your redundant air source.  Also, you need to determine what kind of diving you wish to do in the future; twin tanks with manifold and isolator may be in the future, but that's a lot of expense for just starting to dive.<br><br>