Remember me
Lost Password Register

Affordable spring straps!
09-12-2002, 04:55 PM,
Affordable spring straps!
Jason,
on scuba group, a bengiddins has spring straps that look similuar to yours, here's his link:http://www.giddins.net/scuba/spring_straps/index.htm
do they look like what you have?

He's selling the parts as kits for about cost, so we don't have to hunt everything down ourselfs (I'm so lazy) :Smile

&quotOh Honey, your'e gonna like this&quot
Ray &amp B
09-12-2002, 05:30 PM,
Re:Affordable spring straps!
dyrvz, what I saw on your referenced web site isn't even close to the real deal. Do yourself a favor and spend $40 and get a properly made pair. If not, you may wish you had when you fin falls off.
09-12-2002, 05:37 PM,
The problem is there aren't pre-made straps available for all types of fins, I've only seen them for Jetfins or IDI Turtles. I have Mares Quattros as does Jason and we made our own from stainless steel wire and ss springs from McMaster-Carr. They are holding up just fine and I'm not worried at all about them "falling off". Smile BTW they cost me under $20 in materials and about an hours time to make.
09-12-2002, 06:01 PM,
My mistake, I thought eveyone dove with Jetfins. BTW, I think Dive Rite now makes a spring strap for "other" fins. I have not personally seen them, but their website has a small photo. Dave Dalton has put together an excellent sight re: this entire subject at
09-12-2002, 10:41 PM,
Ray, the spring strap design on the website you linked to is fundamentally the same design that Lonnie and I followed. We used heavy stainless steel wire instead of the s-hooks. We also covered the spring-to-wire connection points with heat shrink tubing.

I have little doubt that our homemade spring straps are as strong as commercial versions. The spring is the same one used in commercial spring straps. The stainless steel wire connectors are heavy duty. I needed a bolt cutter to cut through them.

My DM instructor was so impressed this week that he asked me to print out the design instructions for him. Another convert.
--Jason
09-14-2002, 08:51 AM,
I was in the UK this week and noticed that Manta is coming out with a spring strap for what looks like Quattro type fins. The end of the spring is a metal clip that goes over the knob where the plastic buckle fits.

JoelW