Remember me
Lost Password Register

megalodon shark tooth diving
03-23-2006, 11:26 PM,
megalodon shark tooth diving
I'm curious if anyone here has ever went on a fossil dive for megalodon shark teeth down in Florida.  I have two sets of aunts and uncles living in Venice, FL "The shark tooth capital of the world".  Everytime I've been down there planning to dive, the wind has been blowing too hard to allow for diving on the gulf.  But there are some amazing treasures as in huge sharks teeth (Up to 6 INCHES) to be had.  I'm wondering if anyones done this, or if anyone would ever be interested in going down there to do this?  For info on diving this area go to  
Rusty
03-24-2006, 12:41 PM,
Re: megalodon shark tooth diving
I haven't actually looked for shark teeth, but I do go down to Florida pretty often.  Would love to try it with you.  When were you thinking of going.
maxfactor
03-24-2006, 12:50 PM,
I have! But no megladon trophy teeth yet  :'(

Count me in, I do require 36 hour notice. well maybe 24 if its a good deal ;D

fossil dive pics
03-24-2006, 03:30 PM,
I too have thought about trying to work in a trip to do this.  My cousin spent some time down that way and has a nice tooth he found - even though it is a "small" one - only about 2" across!  I keep forgetting to get details on where he went - supposedly it was somewhere few people dive for teeth, so the pickings were good...
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
03-24-2006, 06:10 PM,
I would like to try to do something this fall.  September/October, but it depends on my job.  I wish I could do it sooner, but I just started a new job.  A few years ago, a guy dove solo from shore, and came back with 4 teeth.  One of them was 5 1/2 inches and was perfect, with serated edges and all.  There are also a fair number of whale bones, etc.... down there.  Definately something different.  It's neat to see others are interested in doing this.  We'll have to keep the discussion alive.

Rusty
04-11-2006, 08:16 PM,
Rusty,
I am extremely interested in your Megalodon dive if you do plan to do it this fall! I have about 50 teeth in my collection that are mint, but unfortunately were accquired not through diving. My Great Grandfather picked them up scattered every where about in the Venice beach area that you speak of (at the turn of the century). Most are in mint condition and at least 4 are the size of my hand.
Count me in!
I would love to add to this family heirloom collection. What is the depth that they report to finding them at?
I assume it varies?

Safe travels to all.

~Michelle