Remember me
Lost Password Register

SOLO Diving
09-15-2002, 09:58 AM,
SOLO Diving
Has anyone ever gone diving SOLO? Do you think it is wise or should there be a buddy one every dive? I am interested in everyones thoughts one this.
Thanks
Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............
09-15-2002, 12:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2002, 02:01 PM by freedivernd.)
Re:SOLO Diving
Mark,
In this murky water you're almost diving solo a lot o' the time it seems. Since I'm so comfortable freediving I kinda feel like scuba diving solo at anything from -30' or maybe even -40' or more shouldn't be a problem. My feeling is that on deeper dives, beyond -40' (edited from -50'), a buddy with air close by might be nice. I have heard that some diving organizations are looking differently at the dive solo aspect because of the chances of losing TWO divers instead of one should there be trouble, and also the fact that possibly a diver on their own may better handle an emergency. Now, granted, not everyone will feel the same as I do at -40' in say an "out of air" situation but if a person was going to stay in the -20' or less and was comfortable, it could actually be safer on your own then with another diver.

I think the key is comfort and experience, not machoism. And I think you have got to be able to say to yourself - at the depth I'm at, WHEN (not IF) I have an equipment failure, am I going to handle it fine and relaxed and take care of myself or am I going to panic? Am I confident I can get to the surface, will I be comfortabe without air? (comfortabe without air?, that sounds like another oxy-moron to me :-\ )

The above, of course, is just what I think.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-15-2002, 12:43 PM,
I've done one solo dive, and it wasn't a big deal. Water was only 20' deep where I was and I had someone on shore keeping watch best they could. Was one of those days where I just had to get in the water, even though the vis was bad (terrible) and the water wasn't very deep.

I prefer diving with a buddy, but I'd do it again under the right cirumstances.
09-15-2002, 12:49 PM,
I'm not a big fan of solo diving. I've done it a couple times but only in an environment I knew real well, with good viz and no deeper than 30 feet but to be honest...even then it's not as fun to dive alone for me personally. I prefer a buddy. If I can't find a buddy, and I'm real desperate to dive, I might go out to a platform and practice some skills but that's about it for me. Smile
09-15-2002, 07:59 PM,
October's issue of Dive Training has an article about solo diving and SCUBA Diving International (SDI) has a solo diver specialty, but some organizations like PADI & NAUI are against it.
09-16-2002, 06:08 AM,
First off I've never done a solo dive. I would feel comfortable at a familiar location and at a shallow depth (above 30'). Anything below that and I'd have to purchase a pony or other type of backup that would provide enough air for a safe accent. I also haven’t had any equipment failure that would cause me to rely on my buddy for air either. I do wonder if my opinion would change after an experience like that. I know I have no problem diving with new people around that area but always have my reservations if doing any deeper dives. You can keep your buddy close during deeper dives but can you always count on your buddy to remain calm when you come over to share air???

I guess it all comes down to a comfort level and also quite a bit of experience in my opinion.
Chris Bloss
09-16-2002, 08:53 AM,
This topic has gotten me curious about something... After my little 100' freeflow incident I started paying attention to buddy distance and started doing a little check from time to time... Every so often I'd pay close attention to how often my buddy would check to see if I was still nearby, there have been a couple instances where it's taken about 30 seconds. Don't worry, everyone I have dove with on this site has been very good, but I'm just wondering what you all consider an acceptable time limit to realize your buddy is in trouble. To me, 30 seconds under water is like a minute at the surface...and even more if you're in panic mode... To clarify, I never leave my buddy when doing this... I usually just hover over them or stay behind them. I guess I try to constantly glance over during the dive... look at a fish, glance... etc. After doing this it has just become a habit and I don't really feel like I'm looking for my buddy, it's just part of my dive routine.

So, is this right/wrong/somewhere in between? As a relatively new diver any comments/suggestions are always appreciated. (Of couse even if I wasn't a new diver they would be.)
09-16-2002, 09:27 AM,
I personally don't dive solo. I pretty much dive at least once a week and I have always been able to find someone to go with. I just don't like the odds. But that's just me.

As far as the buddy goes, familiarity determines how closely I pay attention. There are a couple of guys here in town that I have dived, and done some training, with who I don't feel required to watch every moment. We keep track of each other, we watch our air, and if there is a problem we pretty much both know at the same time. Most of that comfort is just time in the water and diving the same way. Others I have been with I felt that I had to watch all of the time because I wasn't sure when they were going to disappear into the distance or into a mud cloud.

Having said that, in my mind there is nothing quite like diving with someone you are comfortable with. It makes the experience much more enjoyable.

JoelW
09-16-2002, 10:24 AM,
I think the biggest problem with solo diving is the chance of becoming unconcious. If that happens and you are alone you're most likely gonna die regardless of your depth.
09-16-2002, 12:16 PM,

I have done several solo dives, all at the same lake with good vis and all in less than 20' at a beach where I have been metal detecting.
Mark brings up a very good question, and I have thought about this quite a bit. My thoughts are that 20' or less is safe to dive alone. I always watch my air so I will not run dry, and equipment failure is rare but if it happens I'm within 20' feet of the surface.
I'm in pretty good shape but the one thing that bothers me about diving alone is what if you have a stroke or heart attack. Its not a good thing even above water.
So I decided if I lived my life around ALL the "What ifs", I would'nt even be able to leave the house because What if I leave the house and get in a car accident. What if I go outside and get stung by a wasp and have and allergic reaction. And so on, And so on.... I think you need to guage the risk and then decide.
GO DIVING!