Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive Club Planning trip to COZUMEL
03-28-2006, 01:16 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-28-2006, 01:24 PM by newdiver888.)
Dive Club Planning trip to COZUMEL
Can any individuals or local dive shops please provide me with any current information on the condition of COZUMEL?  We know it got beat up by the hurricane.  We're looking for information on hotels and dive boat availability.  Also any specific information about a good dive boat operator.  Thank you.
03-29-2006, 12:36 AM,
Re: Dive Club Planning trip to COZUMEL
Coz is my favorite dive location, so my response should be considered slightly biased.
I have been there since the hurricane, and downtown is back to normal. 
Stay at a hotel within walking distance of downtown.  Taking the cab isn't all that expensive, but it's a lot nicer to walk around and not have to deal with paying $3-5 every time you want to leave and return to your hotel.
The reefs were in  places covered with sand, but they are still awesome. Marine life was as rich as I have ever seen it.
You're paying a lot to get down there - don't dive with a cattle boat company that gives you a 45 min or less dive and little personalized guidance underwater.  Pay a little more and get a MUCH better dive experience and longer more exciting dives.
My favorite op is Liquid Blue.  They charge $85 for two dives, vs the $60-65 at other ops.  BUT, you get only to a max of five or six divers on a small, fast comfortable boat, steel 120 tanks that give you dive times consistently over an hour, very personalized guidance (and if you are new, excellent coaching that results in improved skills and use of much less weight by the end of your trip). Surface intervals are on shore at a beachside restaurant - much nicer than sitting on a rocking boat for an hour eating cold snacks.
If you want specific hotel info and trip arrangements, contact Michaela at Liquid Blue:
Also good op is BlueXTSea.  Christi at:
Dan L
03-29-2006, 09:02 AM,
Have you heard anything about the Reef Club and dive resort?  Good, Bad,????  Or would you recommend something else. 
Go Big, or go home!
03-30-2006, 08:55 AM,
check out the elcozumeleno resort  it is about 10 min. from town on the east end of the island the resort is great and they have a great dive shop at the resort and the dive boats will pick u up right at the resort pier, the dive shop is a five star pati shop everyone there is very great to work with, the taxi to town is only 5 bucks to town so u can go alot and wont break the bank check out for some cheap air fare and good pricing on hotels and also u will be able to see the hotel and dive shop throught that web site, that is where i stay when i go down
03-30-2006, 09:06 AM,
u can also checkout there official site is good luck and have a great time just some place i enjoy when i go thought it might help
03-30-2006, 05:56 PM,
Wade is right - El Coz is good, and travel through worryfree vacations or apple vacations gives you good deals with a range of prices depending on the hotel options.
One thing to keep in mind - El Coz is on the N end of the island, and most of the marine park and dive sites are south of downtown - some very far south.  So for diving, you might want to pick a hotel somewhere south of downtown - nearer the Caleta marina where most dive boats are docked.
Dan L
04-22-2006, 01:54 PM,
Thanks for all the info about Cozumel.  We're very glad to hear things have come back so well down there.  Stay tuned for more about our plans.