Remember me
Lost Password Register

I'm goin' CRAZY!!!
04-01-2006, 01:00 PM,
I'm goin' CRAZY!!!
I've been researching cameras for a few days.. I'm leaning towards the canon powershots, the sony cybershots, and the casio exilims.. but I am totally confused on what model to be looking at.  I'd like to stay around $250 for the camera... (I've been lookin' at prices at ) and would like to stay around $200 or less on the housing.. (I've been looking at digideep for factory housings too) and I think I can do this... even cheaper with the right camera and housing.. maybe $200 or less on the camera and less than $200 on the housing and that would be my preference..(keep the costs down)  I just want to get the most for the money of course.  and so my questions????  How important is it to get more than a point and shoot digital camera (remember, I'm the $9.99 kodak guy, but have had real nice 35mm land equipment)??  I know I want 3 things.. ONE: movie mode with several options.. i.e. different size/fps and in an easy internet format... like mpeg (not quiktime) TWO: good rechargeable battery life.. lithium preferred maybe.. I don't know..  TWO and A HALF: an option for large capacity, easy to use, and reasonably priced memory device.. THREE: large lcd screen, I've seen some with 2.7" screens.. that would be nice for sure.  THREE and A HALF: compact size 
And now after those three or so things... do I need to be concerned about having interchangeable lenses, manual focus, manual aperture, f-stops?  Do I need the option for external flash?  Do I need to be able to control white balance?  Do I need a menu setting that says "underwater" like I see in some of the cameras?  It seems like if I go much over the 3 1/2 things I'm looking for the $$$ tends to go where  I don't want to be...
any advice... anyone else done this similar homework so I can quit and just take your word for it???  I think maybe I send this as an e-mail off to digideep and a few other companies for advice and to see what they recommend too.  just gettin' burned out from looking at all the options.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-01-2006, 04:40 PM,
Re: I'm goin' CRAZY!!!
Fred,
You have to go thru a process and learn a bit more, I think,  to sort it all out. 
First, UW is a tough environment - low light, fast fish, bad viz, etc. and the equipment variables/choices are almost endless. To ENJOY taking pics more than get frustrated, the camera needs certain features.
Good ref sites for background info are

Spending a bit more now will give you a great land digicam, and keep you from feeling you ahve to upgrade as you get a little more UW experience.  Buy from cheap internet source - there are good ones that really stand behind their stuff, offer full US warranty and usually no shipping and no tax - you save a lot and can get a lot more camera for your $$$'s.
I think you can get everything you asked for for just a bit more than you mentioned.
I'll PM my number - call me if you would like and I can share what I went thru and some learnings along the way.
In the end though, it's still the photographer that makes the pic, not the camera.
Dan
Dan L
04-01-2006, 06:21 PM,
Fred,
Here's a specific link to digitaldiver.net, with some recos on a first UW camera setup.  This is a very good site and the info is really pretty good.
Dan L
04-01-2006, 10:29 PM,
Thanks for the comments and the links... I did more reading.. and I'm leaning towards the Canon A610, which I understand is an updated version of the A95 maybe.. and I think I'll go with the canon housing, although it doesn't allow interchangeable lenses, it does allow use of the internal flash with a diffuser (if that or the internal flash is good for anything) and it's way less $$$ than the ikelite.. which I would consider if my ship comes in and it isn't the titanic.. the ikelite doesn't let you use the internal flash because the round lens covers it up... but the round lens does let you interchange the lens.  For my type of photos... I think I'll be alright with this setup.. now, just going to sit tight for awhile, consider it a bit more, read some more, and see if the ship comes in in the next few weeks... I would really like to have a camera setup for the early spring freediving... oh to have clear, bright water to dive in and not this dark cold muck we have to spend most of our time in.. I realize I'll be a bit limited way down the drop line around here.. but should be able to get good pics on our southern trips.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
04-02-2006, 06:12 AM,
I just got done looking at a review and breakdown of the camera you are considering.  It looks quite nice ;D.  I think this will do pretty much what you'll need for quite a while.  If ya like the capailities of the A610....Have you considered the A620?  >Big Grin  This is basically the same camera but with a somewhat finer pixel capacity.  Seven vs. five.  It's a bit more money, but only about $50-75.  I've seen them for $250-275 on the net.
Good Luck!

P.S.  Next you'll be thinking about a strobe :Smile :Smile
04-02-2006, 10:11 AM,
Fred,
The Canon Axxx series is nice, and Canon makes housings for them (be sure to check which have compatible housings).  As A&A points out, a nice setup just a bit above your minimum price range.
But here is more to make you "going crazy".
Now you need to consider if the camera flash modes will be compatible with the strobe you might want to get - does it have a slave trigger flash mode? etc. 
Also, you will soon find that you might want to add a lens -  either wide angle or macro.  The Canon made housings for the 6xxx series have an oval lens port, not round like mostly all others, so you won't be able to add an external add-on lens.
The strobe and add-on lenses may not be in your plans now, but think about them when making your choice so that you have the foundation of a system if you do want to expand your equipment. 
Dan L