Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ever Freak Yourself Out?
04-24-2002, 11:59 AM,
Ever Freak Yourself Out?
OK, I know this has to have happened to someone but I don't see it posted anywhere. Being in the water seems to be the perfect place for the mind to take over, especially since things can come from all angles. What I am wondering is this... <br><br>You know that feeling you get when you're walking in the dark... like someone is following you or there is something there? Just wondering if/when/how often this happens when you're in the water.<br><br>Ever get the heebie jeebies down there and scare yourself?<br>
04-25-2002, 04:36 AM,
Re: Ever Freak Yourself Out?
Night dives. Though now I've logged 76 night dives, I still get freaked once in a while when you accidently brush your fin or a part of you against something you didn't see or expect to be there. Sometimes it's bumping into your buddy, as when some buddies night dive, they tend to be a little closer to each other to see what the other is seeing. <br><br>It's like walking into a room at night without much light for reference, and your reaching for the light switch but bumping into something that you weren't expecting. I get the knee-jerk reflex reaction and pull back really quick, my breathing and heart-rate increases until I settle down and figure out what it is. Ha, Ha, then I have to laugh at myself.<br><br>Now, now, no scared of the dark fraidy-cat jokes!<br><br>The one time I'm seen a lot of people get freaked out is on deep dives. When you see someone who's been Narc'd for the first time and they realize what happened, you see how freaked they are in their eyes. (Some divers hate that out-of-control feeling and they build panic, not the euphoria that's sometimes referred to) That's a nervous moment trying to get them into shallower water without them wanting to bolt to there.
04-25-2002, 04:57 AM,
Fraidy Cat! :o<br><br>While I have no where near that many night dives, I do sometimes get the chills during them. Especialy when your buddy touches you while your looking the other way. Makes me almost have to clean my wetsuit.<br><br>
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
04-26-2002, 09:35 AM,
Yeah, every time I go diving.<br><br>To me that moment when you let the air out of your BC and your head goes under the water is a freak out moment.  My psyche must just say, "no no this is not where you are suppose to be!"<br>Once I am under the water and breathing that first breath and looking up to see the light over my head, I am fine.  But for a half a second, it is primorial terror.
05-01-2002, 10:37 PM,
Until the past two years, I have not had any problems with the psyche.  However, for some reason, every so often my mind plays tricks on me and I freak out.  Maybe I'm supersaturated!! Tongue  I'm what I consider an experienced open circuit, no deco diver; so what's the deal??  I last experienced it off the wall in Wazee.  I hope this isn't chronic as I really enjoy diving!