Remember me
Lost Password Register

ear equalizing (a short story...)
09-20-2002, 07:25 PM,
ear equalizing (a short story...)
I debated on whether to put this under "off topic" but it may help some scuba divers too. And it doesn't get much more basic than equalizing huh?

Anyway- a story about my wife - trying for years she could never equalize her ears, she's part fish and so has been very frustrated that she was limited to about -12' of depth. Then finally (using the valsava method) one opened while we were snorkeling at Crosby this past summer. So since then she's been able to equalize only that ear. Now, the other day on a road trip I worked with her on the frenzel technique and by golly she mastered that technique and got the other ear to equalize! See - sooner or later you'll get them to equalize!

I can't wait until we get into the water together to try it out! She'd be a good freediving buddy! Funny thing is I'm most anxious to show her what the thermocline is like. And then the pressure at -30, and then -50', and then -75'. Wink ...and then?

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-21-2002, 05:42 PM,
Re:ear equalizing (a short story...)
Fred, I'm new to diving, so, can you explain these methods of equalizing you refered to or direct me to some liturature that will. Maybe I am already doing those methods and just didn't know there was a name to it. The majority of mine is the "nose-pinching" method. I don't recall the open-water course identifying it by name.

Dano
09-21-2002, 07:00 PM,
Dano
The Frenzel Technique is using the soft pallet of your mouth and back of the tongue to work as a piston to force air into the eustachion tubes. Some people have trouble understanding it but one thing that might help you master the technique is when you plug your nose and use the Frenzel technique, your adam's apple will move up. You can use this method to equalize with only the air in your mouth rather than using the air from your lungs. This is a much more efficient means of equalizing than the Valsalva that you were most likely taught during your scuba training. A good article by Eric Fattah (professional freediver) is at and also a very good article on 8 or 9 different techniques to equalize and more on the subject of equalization and diving by Edmond Kay, MD can be found at the following web address:

Crazy - but some of the deepest freedivers have mastered filling their air cavities with water in order to equalize. Not quite on my list of things to learn yet. :o

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-21-2002, 09:09 PM,
Thanks for the information, Fred. I'll check into it. Never thought there would be so many ways equalize. I have to try something new. (Except, the one about filling of air cavities with water.) I need my hand for other things.

Dan
09-21-2002, 09:42 PM,
Fred, thanks for the link to the equalizaton techniques. I use a couple of these but I'll try some of the others also. Sometimes I have trouble clearing, ( especially allergy season )so this is good info.
GO DIVING!