Remember me
Lost Password Register

Suggestions on cold water regs?
05-12-2006, 08:45 AM,
Suggestions on cold water regs?
Thinking of getting my first reg. Any suggestions or personal testemonials of some cold water regs that won't break the bank!!! I was looking at the aqualung Titan LX, any thoughts?
05-12-2006, 09:24 AM,
Re: Suggestions on cold water regs?
If your criteria is a cold water reg that comes in at a relatively lower price point then the Titan LX is a nice reg. I've used and serviced Titan first stages, and seen a lot of these in use over the years. Good performers; easy to service/adjust; nice for travelling; proven design. I'm not quite as familiar with the LX second stages, but I've been around a lot of these while in use and they seem to hold up well. Breathing characteristics seem to be good for a second without on-the-fly cracking pressure adjustment (which I prefer). If you like the Titan LX, go with the Supreme model so you can get the dry sealed first stage. If you can swing a higher price point the Legend is a fantastic reg. It's my preferred reg for single tank diving.

Apeks also has some mid-price range regs that might work for you. Something like the XTX 50 might suit your needs. I own a number of Apeks regs and have been more or less very pleased with all of these. Many of the different models are actually very similar.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
05-12-2006, 11:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2006, 12:43 PM by LKunze.)
Like Beeger I use Apeks.  I've used the ATX-50 for the past 5 years and it's performed well in all conditions.  I've never had a free flow with it.  Another excellent reg that hasn't been mentioned is the Zeagle ZX/DSV. 
05-12-2006, 02:48 PM,
I have an ATX-50 as well. When I bought my gear I did a bunch of research and of the regs I was looking at the ATX came most highly recommended. My octo is an Apeks too.
05-12-2006, 03:29 PM,
I would recommend a Sherwood Maximus or a Geninis GR2000 Sherwood easiest to maintain and adjust. One thing to remember if your air has high moisture in it you could possibly have a freeze up. When breathing the venturi effect of air passing through is about 17 degrees now add that to the existing temp ie; 35 above minius 17 temp = 18 degrees
05-12-2006, 03:49 PM,
Thanks, You all have been very helpfull!! How do you avoid high moisture content in your air?
05-12-2006, 04:01 PM,
good fills from a good shop  Wink

when shoping for a reg. I would start with what brands are serviced by your local dive shop? I ask this because if you have a failure your local dive shop may have the parts in stock and can fix it quickly.
I have watched Chuck from GUDC repair regs in the field with parts he carries with him saving a weekend of diving for the owner of the regs.

I'm not trying to start a discusion of where to buy your regs just having you think about what if the need service during the season.

that said I dive a Sherwood and the only problems I have had was buddies telling me I had a leak (sherwoods do that on purpose)
I plan to buy an Apex set this summer
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-12-2006, 05:45 PM,
ask to see their current air anlyist it will show the moisture content ours just came back at a -91
05-12-2006, 06:47 PM,

You forgot to mention I only do this blindfolded  Wink

SORRY...HAD TO BEAT

MAXFACTOR..........TO IT  Tongue >Big Grin
Don't believe the hype!
05-12-2006, 07:41 PM,
i wasn't trying to make Chucks head bigger. my point was choosing a reg that could be serviced by the tech at your local dive shop
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !