Remember me
Lost Password Register

Local Diving -- Anoka / Andover?
05-18-2006, 10:42 AM,
Local Diving -- Anoka / Andover?
Does anyone know of any decent places to dive locally near Anoka / Andover? I spent some time online at the DNR maps site but kind of came up empty. Does anyone dive out here?
05-18-2006, 10:54 AM,
Re: Local Diving -- Anoka / Andover?
I've been trying to find some local spots worth trying too (I'm in Brooklyn Center).  it'd be nice to find something close to maybe sneak in an after work dive or two.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
05-18-2006, 07:54 PM,
I suppose the key work there is "Worth diving" and I don't mean Theo. Worth Park/Lake!  (Bullet proof vest not included)

Close by on the other hand...Twin Lakes at Hwy 81 and 100 in Robbinsdale.  Easy access, see some fish if you can see anything in the 2ft vis.  Downside...Close to the old "Joslin pole yard" where they used to coat wood electric poles with creosote, a superfund cleanup area that is now nicely paved over with a Starbucks or Caribou Coffee office complex. 

Medicine Lake in Plymouth.  Several accesses, 5 ft vis +.  Not very deep, very popular for "Personal Watercraft" and fishermen!

Lake Independence in Lorretto.  O.K. vis until mid summer when the algae blooms!  Huge lake, Huge fish!  Northerns and Muskies galore!

Gray's bay on Minnetonka, accessed by Hwy 101 South of 12/394...of all 'Tonka, this area has the best vis.  5-8 ft.  Downside...Shallow and milfoil!

Christmas Lake.  Just off Hwy 7 in Excelsior.  Fun and clear until others start mucking it up!  Snorkeled it last summer, very  nice in June, cloudier in July when they were harvesting milfoil.  Best access by boat or lonnnng surface swim in the weeds!  This lake is 80+ feet deep and look out for the trout!  It's stocked with Rainbow trout by the DNR.  Very popular with all kinds of boaters...Stay deep or be extra careful when surfacing!

Check with your favorite Local Dive Shop for more info!
Three Rivers Park District may also have some more info, but you are asking for "North of their border!" 

Out a little farther...Green Lake in Spicer and Clearwater Lake in Annandale are both supposed to be fairly clear.

Best Wishes for fun and safe diving!
Lisa
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-18-2006, 09:52 PM,
If your in Anoka head north about 30 mins. to Spectacle lake.  There are 3 spots where you can access but all will cost you a buck or 2.  There is the beach on the east point, and also Mankes and Buckthorn resorts that charge about 2 or 3 bucks to park.  Vis would be comparable to square on a good day and a decent amount of treasure can be found on some of the sandbars.  I think it gets to 50 or 60' if I remember correctly.  It is located about a mile s.w. of the intersection of CO. RD 47 and highway95.  Hope it helps, Jeff.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson