Remember me
Lost Password Register

looking for a camera
05-30-2006, 10:36 AM,
looking for a camera
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice on getting a camera/housing. I have been using a sony DSC-P10 for some years but lost it in a break-up. So I am in the market for a nice point-n-shoot with a housing. Went to national camera exchange and they pointed me toward a casio. I loved my cyber-shot and would like some advice from divers. I like to take photos and will mostly be using it on land but the times I will get a chance to get wet I would like to be ready.
Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Stacia
05-30-2006, 11:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-30-2006, 11:25 AM by LKunze.)
Re: looking for a camera
Welcome to mnscuba Stacia.  There are a lot of good choices out there for point and shoot cameras.  I have been using a Sony Cypershot for about 4 years now it's been great.  I have had good luck with the Sony housings.  I'd take a look at the Canon line as they have a pretty wide selection of housings for their cameras and I've heard pretty good things about them.  Olympus makes some nice stuff too.  I'd look for a camera that uses user replaceable batteries if I was looking for a new camera.  That's the one con I see with the Sony Cybershot that I have because it uses a Lithium Ion battery back which I don't care for.  The battery back has a pretty short battery life and they don't last too long before they need to be replaced because they won't take a good charge.  Here is a past thread that has some useful information and web links. 
05-30-2006, 11:32 AM,
Re: looking for a camera
yup, I decided and am glad to have the canon a610 with canon housing.. now I have a 1gb and 2gb card to go with it.. 15 minutes to recharge the 2500ma AA batteries and they seem to last forever.. I'm impressed.. I've posted videos on some recent posts under the "freediving" forum here and am very pleased with the stills I've gotten.. Price and good video, long battery life, common batteries, inexpensive storage media, and an inexpensive u.w. housing were my main criteria.. and the A610 and canon housing hit right on the mark!
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?