Remember me
Lost Password Register

South Padre Island Pics
05-29-2006, 06:40 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2006, 10:41 AM by Shooter.)
South Padre Island Pics
   Leaving Minneapolis on Thursday the 8th, free diving on Thursday afternoon and Friday, exploring a new wreck in 130 feet of water that hasn't seen divers or fishermen :o on Saturday, diving the deep six(oil rig) on Sunday.  Free diving again on Monday, returning on Tuesday. Oh yeah,one other thing, fresh seafood every night ;D

Anybody want to split the hotel and car-rental?  I got my round-trip air for about $550. Car-rental  $200, hotel estimated at $125-$150
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM,
Re: South Padre Island
Oooh buddy, I'm so jealous...I just got an E-mail from American Diving about their specials for the summer!  I'm still recalling the excellent shrimp at Schlitterbahn, though I'm sure it's busier now than it was during spring break!  Too bad you don't have a family member with connections in the hotel industry!!  I think we paid less than $50 per night, but that was in Brownsville at the brand new StayBridge Suites. 
Have yourself a Wonderful time!!!  We'll have to find a good weekend to go out on Mille Lacs later in the season!
LW
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-30-2006, 06:35 AM,

The fresh seafood every night will be seafood that I'll be harvesting myself personally ;D there's just something about eating a fish that three hours earlier had been  swimming around the reef 8).  I'll stay right on the island and will probably only cost between $20-$25 per night.  It's not the nicest hotel.  I don't spend a lot of time there.  Is all you have to do when you turn on the lights in the middle of the night is keep your eyes close for a second or two!  And whatever you do, do not light up the room with a CSI ultraviolet light :o
05-30-2006, 09:02 AM,

I was just at Mille Lacs this weekend. Does anyone actually SCUBA dive there?
That which does not kill you, makes you stronger.<br />Blood makes the grass grow, kill, kill, kill!
05-30-2006, 01:17 PM,

I was just at Mille Lacs this weekend. Does anyone actually SCUBA dive there?
[/quote]
Yeah, some people dive there.  I haven't tried it yet but it's a very shallow lake (max depth 42 feet)  Probably best to dive it by boat.  Smith Diving hosts a dive shop event called the "Anchor Dive" and they dive from a big pontoon boat.  I'm sure there are plenty of lost fishing rods among many other things there as well.
06-13-2006, 11:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-16-2006, 06:59 AM by Shooter.)
Sitting at Harlingen airport waiting for flight.  ;D Had extra bag to check ;Dmmmmm grouper.

Arrived on Thursday at the island and realize summer was not necessarily off-season.  In the month of October through January, I can usually pick up a really nice room, Between $20-$30.  This was not the case, the rate during the week was $50 a night.  Up to $150 a night on the weekend.  I contemplated staying in the car but it  Was unbelievably hot.  It was so hot that when you walked outside your sunglasses would fog.  So I proceeded up and down the strip taking notes in every place I stopped  trying,  To find a good deal.  I finally found an innkeeper, that was sympathetic to my cause, and with promises of fresh fish fillets agreed to give me the room for $50 a night.

There was still daylight and I had already stopped at the dive shop to pick up my weights, so I loaded my mask , fins, snorkel, trusty spear gun ,and Stringer.  I proceeded for the mile-long hike out to the end of the jetty.  I free dove for about two to three hours.  Not seeing a lot of shootable fish.  Even the sheep head were jumpy, it was clear that the locals had caught on to my new fishing methods.  Visibility was about eight to 12 feet.  Decided to head to the Port Mansfield's jetty's on Friday.  You access the beach on beach access number 6 And Drive N. approximately 25 miles to the jetty's.  Yes that's right, you can drive on the beach.  Reason number 867, to never buy a rental return car ;D. four wheel Drive would've been nice, but to turn off the traction control, stayed on the wet sand, and hammer down,  You can make it!  A AAA membership is highly recommended ;D.

Arrived at the jetty's to find six to eight fishermen  Already there.   All were driving four-wheel drive vehicles  :Smile.  I was in the water for about six to eight hours..........

Time to start my three flight to journey home.

Attached Files
.jpg   bait we don't need no stinkin bait.jpg (Size: 97.37 KB / Downloads: 285)
.jpg   long drive.jpg (Size: 48.07 KB / Downloads: 292)
.jpg_thumb   bait we don't need no stinkin bait.jpg_thumb (Size: 36.22 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   long drive.jpg_thumb (Size: 21.52 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2006, 02:12 PM by Shooter.)
Found somewhat limited visibility, a lot more shootable fish.  With a limited visibility, the main thing  I was seeing  Was sheephead.  The limit is five per person per day.  They are good target practice, but when you've been spoiled by eating grouper,hogfish, and snapper, They just don't taste the same ;D. five of the local fishermen went home with full limits of sheephead., :-X.

While was on the water, I also had a school of Jack cravelles, herd all the bait fish up against me and proceed to chow down!  I had thousands of bait fish on top of me!  What a rush!  I then did some free diving with a camera and took some pics which will post later.  I even shot a couple of underwater movies  Big Grin .
Note to self,wear extra sunscreen when floating on the water with your back towards the sun for six to eight hours. :-[

Attached Files
.jpg   multiple entanglement hazards.jpg (Size: 59.99 KB / Downloads: 270)
.jpg   port mansfield jetty.jpg (Size: 51.59 KB / Downloads: 274)
.jpg_thumb   multiple entanglement hazards.jpg_thumb (Size: 28.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   port mansfield jetty.jpg_thumb (Size: 24.4 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-14-2006, 09:11 AM,
couple more pics,need to work on my free-diving photography skills :Smile

Attached Files
.jpg   multiple targets under ledge.jpg (Size: 36.59 KB / Downloads: 267)
.jpg   snook tail.jpg (Size: 32.77 KB / Downloads: 270)
.jpg_thumb   multiple targets under ledge.jpg_thumb (Size: 20.52 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   snook tail.jpg_thumb (Size: 18.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-14-2006, 09:20 AM,
warsaw grouper at 140' :o :o 8) 8)
will elaborate on next 2 days of trip later........have to earn money for next trip! ;D

Attached Files
.jpg   warsaw grouper.jpg (Size: 73.81 KB / Downloads: 269)
.jpg_thumb   warsaw grouper.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.69 KB / Downloads: 0)
06-14-2006, 09:45 AM,
Nice.    grouper      Shooter..      I can't wait to go hunting with ya. 

maxfactor