Remember me
Lost Password Register

New dive shop in lakeville
06-02-2006, 08:32 PM,
New dive shop in lakeville
Gander Mtn is opening a dive shop in their store in lakeville this month.
they will handle  three major brands of gear.
they will be using Naui and Iantd as training agencys
06-02-2006, 09:16 PM,
Re: New dive shop in lakeville
It's a real Bummer that they will be directly competing with Nick and Pat at "A Diver's World" which is located just across I-35.  With the major corporate name, Gander could cut prices to drive out the competition...I'm going to the Grand Opening at "A Diver's World!"  But I'm not shopping Gander anymore!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-02-2006, 10:13 PM,
It will be interesting to see how it works out for them.  Gander Mtn is a MN company so I don't see why you should abandon them.  What's interesting is the fact that they are partnering with Diver's Direct for their gear. 
--Jason
06-03-2006, 05:53 AM,
New Dive Shop in Lakeville
I understand that they will have a full service repair shop and air fills with mixed gases also. There was some talk about drive up air fills too. I wounder about that.
They are going to use Scuba-training .net for on line training then rent pool space else where. they are talking about 3000 sq/ft of floor space for dive display.
grumpie.......
06-03-2006, 11:48 AM,
Gee; thats too bad. I thought Gander was having a tough time. Now they can see what its like to really lose money.

Simple question:

How do you make a small fortune in the dive industry?

Start with a large one!!!!

06-03-2006, 03:03 PM,
I just got a personal E-mail from Pat, he mentioned that Gander's stock lost 30% in one day, and they have been closing stores left and right to try to compete with Cabela's.  We'll see which store is still in business in five years!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
06-05-2006, 08:08 AM,
re:  GANDER.....  I will be surprised if it works for them.  I remember selling product to them before HOLIDAY  took them out of bankrupcy in 1994 or so.  Yes they are closing up stores, but thats a business discision they made over a year ago. 

There is a very good reason hunting, fishing and camping stores should stay out of the scuba business.  I can reasonably predict that they are looking for a buy out partner and scuba direct has a bunch of money.  Perhaps Scuba Direct is looking to get into the camping, fishing, hunting business.

WHEN CUSTOMERS FIND OUT THAT..... the employees that are selling you life saving gear for the most part will have alot less experience then the average dive shop employee, you'll find out that the price isn't worth that confidence level. 

How about dive trips, specific experience related dive trips, on site facilities.    MY FRIENDS>>>>>>>>.    let me suggest that you NOT  ABANDON  YOUR  LOCAL  SHOPS.......  the price you pay will not be worth it in the long run.   

Disclaimer:  I  DO NOT WORK AT ANY DIVE SHOP....  JUST a good business banker, and good diver.

MaxFactor
06-05-2006, 10:23 AM,
I talked with a friend who lives down at that end of town and we talked about maybe stopping in at Pat's next time I'm down to see them.  (the friends aren't divers - yet!  but I've been working on them...)  That was the first I heard they were open down there.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
06-05-2006, 01:24 PM,
Nothing against GANDER ... they are a MN. Company ...

But, Maxfactor ... is correct ... experience and professional  advise is worth "the price" ... at your LDS

we recommend you support, the Local shops south of the river ...

the "staff" at Adventure Sports

06-05-2006, 06:28 PM,
Maybe Gander will introduce diving to a segment of the market that the typical LDS is missing.  I guess we will have to wait and see how they execute.  They certainly have the marketing and potential buying power that most dive shops will never have.  They can take more risks without worrying about how to feed the family.

What kind of diver really keeps a typical dive shop in business? Is it the knowledgeable hard core diver that understands service, life saving equipment, and likes to listen to dive trip stories?  Or is it the dentist that wants to do a little diving in Jamaica with his wife on their upcoming vacation?  The latter might see Gander as a viable option.

I don't think Nick and Pat have anything to worry about.  In some ways Gander could actually help their business by raising the awareness of diving as a sport and activity.  If they were opening a little hardware store next to a Home Depot I would be sending them my condolences...
--Jason