Remember me
Lost Password Register

Divemaster
09-23-2002, 03:07 PM,
Divemaster
I finally finished my divemaster certification this weekend! A number of people on the forum have asked me to share my impressions of the class.

I took the class through Scuba Center Eagan (padi). My instructor, Rob Leslie (RJ), was wonderful. He was a teacher, coach, and mentor. His teaching extended well beyond the classroom. I hope I have the privilege of working with RJ in the future.

The DM class is unlike any other prior diving class. It requires a higher level of academic and physical commitment. The time investment is more substantial -- both inside the class and outside the classroom.

Here are my "quick thoughts" about the program:

-- The primary focus of the DM program is to mold you into a proficient assistant. It won't turn you into some sort of "super diver". You will be able to help instructors make better divers.

-- The only way to become a better diver is to dive often -- and try to dive with more experienced divers.

-- Don't underestimate the time commitment - especially outside the class. I probably spent 2 hours for every hour in the classroom.

-- When you are reviewing the cost of the course take into consideration some of the additional training items you may need to purchase -- books, the wheel, instructor manual, etc. You could end up with another $150 worth of stuff to buy.

--The Wheel. This would be a pretty useful device if it were 1985. The guy that invested it was pretty smart though.

-- Equipment. The most challenging part of the dive training was having to use a snorkel and a standard lead weight belt.
Leave the backplate and long hose at home for this class.

-- The mapping project was a blast. We mapped the Golden Acres portion of Square Lake. We used a GPS system to map out some of the objects. I may be able to share a copy of the map if it is in digital format. Next time you are at Square Lake you may notice that the boat has been moved.... Wink

-- Take the opportunity to watch instructors during open water class sessions. This was an optional part of our DM program. I participated in some sessions taught by Dan Mack, another great instructor.

--Jason
09-23-2002, 05:33 PM,
Re:Divemaster
Jason,

Congratulations on making Divemaster! How long does it take to complete the Divemaster certification?
09-23-2002, 06:34 PM,
Congrats Jason. How did you like the gear exchange?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
09-23-2002, 10:47 PM,
The whole program took about two months. I would not recommend starting the class until you have at least 50 dives.

The gear exchange was a blast. I practiced it with my buddy (Chris) a couple times and we didn't have any problems. Then, when it came time to actually perform the exercise our instructor made it a bit more challenging. He had us perform the gear exchange while buddy breathing at the same time. Again, no problems until it came time to exchange our masks. After I took off my mask to hand it to my buddy I suddenly realized I had a problem. I didn't have air. I also realized that my buddy had the air but didn't have a mask on either. Yikes. Luckly my buddy grabbed my mask and cleared it enough to be able to see the reg and shove it into my mouth. All was well. Good time.
--Jason
09-24-2002, 06:01 PM,
I think buddy breathing while doing the exchange is mandatory. I did not practice, and when I handed off my mask and then reg, I thought I was NEVER going to get air back. It was a good thing I had been practicing breathing excersises (PS thanks Fred) for freediving. Other than that I thought it was pretty fun, and the open water students that were watching got a really good laugh at us.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
09-24-2002, 06:58 PM,
Jason,
Congratulations on the Divemaster cert!
Thanks for the perspective, too. anxious to hear more about it.
Dan
Dan L
09-26-2002, 01:19 PM,
Congrats on making Divemaster!!! Wink Big Grin

I look forward to hearing more about it!