Remember me
Lost Password Register

No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
06-07-2006, 07:37 PM,
No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
I just heard a rumor today that the previous thread confirmed......  The only camping allowed at the Crosby Ironton pit lakes is at the Portsmouth campground :o :o.  Apparently the DNR has closed the area to "open" camping.  The only place where overnight camping is now allowed is the campground at Portsmouth.  I know that a lot of us have enjoyed going up there and camping overnight while diving over the years.  A lot of summer trips are probably being planned as we speak, and I thought that a thread with this title would inform several divers who might otherwise be thinking of heading up for diving and camping at the pit lakes. 
My thoughts is that this is a bit of a two edged sword Sad ;D. The upside would be that the people who usually go up for a big PARTY and leave a mess of broken glass and cans would now have to go somewhere else.  The downside of course is that those of us who like the solitude of the area and the convenient diving right from your campsite now have a bit more logistics to consider.
06-07-2006, 07:52 PM,
Re: No More camping at Crosby Ironton Pits
Typical of everything that is fun in life. A small minority wrecks it for everyone!
06-07-2006, 08:55 PM,
Yeah, it is a bummer.  I got to camp last weekend...the last weekend they allowed for camping.  Hopefully they will reopen the area for camping in the future.  Crossing fingers that they might improve the roads and maybe clean the area up a little bit to make things more accessable and diver friendly as well.  I heard one of things that swayed the decision was that some losers were getting out of hand with the parties and also harrassing people that were using the new bike trail that was put in last year.  If things improve by eliminating those that ruined it for the responsible people such as us divers then perhaps they will open things up again but in a controlled/patrolled environment.  Time will tell.
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM,
It's be real nice if they mowed those extra camping spots at Portsmouth to allow more campers there.  That and the biggest thing would be sink some money into getting the shower house up and running.
06-08-2006, 03:35 PM,
Thats so typical of Minnesota: The state where nothing is allowed.  That really screws up my plans for going up there this summer.
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM,
I've never camped up there but I have stayed at the Ripple River motel in Aitkin. Great little place and not too far from the pits either.
06-08-2006, 03:56 PM,
This really sucks. I loved the whole situation up there.
You know its locals.

DNR doesn't care about the economy. i know I will spend less up there. not as punishment to anybody. just that I will spend my time elsewhere.
Besides, there are other ways to accomplish what they are trying to do. One way is to let us register, and pay for a campsite. Then we would be responsible for the site. Just as if we were in a structured campground. Typical bureaucratic bullshit.
06-08-2006, 05:13 PM,
What the heck am I suposed to do when i rool in there half past dark and the place is full?  I perfer the camp ground as it is quieter, but when full I'd just roll over to the pits and pitch my tent there.  I hope there going to open the rest ot the camp sites soon.  Anybody have a email adress or the phone # for the dnr people up there?
Tim
06-08-2006, 05:22 PM,
Chuck, hopefully this is what they will do.  I wouldn't mind paying a fee to camp there and maybe even requiring a state park pass as well to get in (vehicle pass sticker only $25 per year) but I wouldn't agree with charging a fee for "divers only" like Wazee does.
06-08-2006, 07:45 PM,
Several weekends ago,  when it was raining all weekend..... Paul B.  myself and Dave the diver  were up at Louise.... and a bunch of 19  to  28 year old  .....hippies had been camping up by the TURTLE side....... and had for in intenstive purposes a TENT CITY,  with a Pile of garbage stacking up.

I talked with them and most of them did not have a home.  They were from the Brainerd area and were just kinda living there for over a week at that point. 

DO YOU SUPPOSE..... it was because of them.  BECAUSE..... I can responably tell you  almost all the times I have been up there  all  of  the  divers    have  been    very    responsible and  I have never seen left over trash.  Some crap in the fire pits but thats it. 

ALSO.....  I KNOW THERE ARE DNR GUYS WHO READ THIS  SO  HERES MY ANSWER TO YOU.....  BS.....  THE ENTIRE AREA SHOULD BE FREE. 

HOW MUCH LAND DOES THE STATE HAVE NOW,  THAT THEY CAN'T EVEN MONITOR, MUCH LESS support with bathroom facilities. 

we divers spend an a lot of money in the local area and have virtually no run in's with the law.    so....dnr..  yet another bad decision. 

WHY DON't you sell the land that you take over.  hord mongers.

by  one upset diver.

for the record.... i wouldn't mind paying an annual fee, its not the money,  its the concept.    ya screw us at the pump, and at the park and everywhere else we turn.

DNR  SURE DON'T MIND WHEN WE ORGANIZE CLEAN UPS AT THE LOCAL  LAKES FROM ALL THE FISHING LICENSE HOLDERS THAT TRASH THE AREA LAKES.  OR ALL OF THE TRASH THAT BLOWS IN THE LAKE FROM WALKERS ETC.

OR  IS  IT.....  LIKE THE CAVE SITUATION DOWN BY ROCHESTER THAT YOUR STILL UPSET AND TRYING TO RECOVER SOME OF THE HUNDRES OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS YOU'RE MANAGERS SPENT BUYING UP LAND OVER CAVES .............REDICULOUS MONEY YOU SPENT TRYING TO KEEP DIVERS OUT OF,  WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS CROSS THE ROAD  DIG DOWN, AND LIKE MAGIC TAP A CAVE.....      MORE TAX DOLLARS WASTED.  HAVE ANOTHER MARK ON YOUR DNR BADGE.  WAY TO GO.  KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.  YOUR ALRIGHT.    WE NEED YOU.  FINE SOME MORE PEOPLE.  DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE CAMPGROUNDS FOR  EXPIRED PLATES.     
I'VE GOT AN IDEA..... WHY DON'T YOU DEDICATE YOUR RESOURSES TO  BUSTING DRUG DEALERS, INSTEAD OF HARD WORKING, EDUCATED,  caring people such as us divers.  I think I will also write the DNR and local chamber of commerce PUT SOME PRESSURE ON THE DNR.... expose the buracracy for what it is............. 
maxfactor