Remember me
Lost Password Register

Isle Royale--RLT
07-25-2006, 07:30 AM,
Re: Isle Royale--RLT

We should get together and go diving soon........Would you be down for a fl spearfishing trip? Thurs-sun dive all day fri- sat up to 6 drops per day  :o hook and line fish fri night ,live aboard. trip with rt airfare about $1000. Be prepared to transport about 50lbs of filets with you! That is of course if you are a carnivore with some basic killer instincts ;D ;D ;D
07-25-2006, 03:06 PM,
I'd love to do one of the FL trips, but unfortunately, I'm struggling this summer with time off issues -- I need to save my PTO time for a China trip that is supposed to happen this fall, but don't know when yet.  My last Coz trip  I was talking with Jorge about having him take me spearing next time I'm down there - he thought maybe I might be lucky, as one of our dive days we got pretty close to same good eater-sized grouper at San Juan and Barracuda.

And I've got a slight freezer issue too - I just put a whole cooler full of salmon fillets in, and don't have room for another cooler full until I eat and smoke a bunch!!!  I've been thinking I should trade you some salmon for some grouper  so I can try smoking some new stuff.

I also just ordered one of the el cheapo Extreme scooters, so we may need to go dive somewhere to compare it to a REAL scooter!  (not sure when it's going to arrive yet)
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
07-25-2006, 04:09 PM,
You will have to thank your cousins fo me ;D.

China?

I would like some salmon. Have you ever pickled it? I had some a guy made pickled with a jalapeno. It was outstanding.

If its here by the weekend I'll most likely be at Crosby, not sure where I will be,should be easy to find though.........

Attached Files
.jpg   camper.jpg (Size: 62.12 KB / Downloads: 241)
.jpg_thumb   camper.jpg_thumb (Size: 34.06 KB / Downloads: 0)
07-26-2006, 09:19 AM,
OK,

Apparently this is the trip that won't stay full  :-\

One of our vegetarians dropped out when they found out shooter was going  Wink (just kidding shooter  >Big Grin)

Same deal applies first come, first served $400 gets you a seat on the RLT check dates and details above.

CN3
Don't believe the hype!
07-26-2006, 10:11 AM,
;D ;D ;D ROFLMAO ;D ;D

07-26-2006, 12:52 PM,
NICE trailer!

I'll try to remember to bring a few chunks of salmon along this weekend.  Probably won't get any smoked until the following weekend, but raw hunks can be turned into spectacular dining fare by a little marinade and some hot grill time.  we're supposed to hook up in Crosby Sun morning for a couple dives - not sure where yet.  I'll keep my eyes open for the trailer...

J.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
07-27-2006, 03:22 PM,
Won't make crosby :'( have to be at gran portage on sun night. If i dive before the boat trip on mon it will be at superior somewhere on the way!

Will accept a carnivorous raincheck on the lightly seared salmon flesh ;D
08-04-2006, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-04-2006, 08:20 AM by Shooter.)
  WOW! What an awsome trip!  It more than exceeded my expectations.  My hats are off to the Great Lakes shipwreck preservation society for the work that they have done in preserving the shipwrecks.  To be able to see the shipwrecks intact with all the artifacts still there was an incredible experience!  Much more so than the desire  to have one of these artifacts on my bookshelf.  Up until this point, the majority of my diving had consisted of underwater hunting with local diving being here just to get my fix until I could get to some salt water diving.  Things have drastically changed over the course of the last week.  The hook is set deep on diving the Great Lakes and exploring shipwrecks. I don't see it being removed until I have explored them all multiple times and look forward to my technical training to accomplish this goal. To be floating through intact rooms, hallways, with ceilings in complete darkness was very exciting to say the least.

I was on the RLT 3 diver boat, and they did an incredible job of making the trip even better. Excellent food and accommodations.  We only had four divers and two crew,  So was very comfortable.  They were very knowledgeable about all of the dive sites, gave us excellent dive briefings and told us where to locate hot spots to see on the dive.  It was also very important to me that they were not the DIVE POLICE. They made recommendations, but they allowed me to dive my program, at my pace.  The instructor on the boat (R2) was very knowledgeable,  I learned alot from him and look forward to diving with him again soon.

This trip is a must for any hard-core(even medium core) Minnesota diver and gets the shooter full 30 round clip rating!

I shot lots of video on thes trip and will try to post a link over the next week or two.

Attached Files
.jpg   underdog.jpg (Size: 26.19 KB / Downloads: 130)
.jpg_thumb   underdog.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.13 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   underdog.jpg_thumb (Size: 39.13 KB / Downloads: 0)