Remember me
Lost Password Register

Corporate Retail out to kill local shops!
07-16-2006, 01:05 PM,
Re: Corporate Retail out to kill local shops!
thanks to e-bay mail order and insurance we closed our doors
07-16-2006, 06:36 PM,
Who closed there doors?

Got any good deals on 5mm wet suits?
08-16-2006, 04:11 PM,
I use a local shop. I know the people and I like the service. Frankly, I'd be embarrassed to walk into my dive shop and admit that I bought gear from someone else. After all the free advice and help they've given me.

My 2 cents.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-17-2006, 07:45 AM,
this is why we support our local dive shops. because they give us advice that fits us by knowing who we are and how we dive. that is somthing a larg box retailer will have a hard time doing.
there is more to value then price and shops that add value will stay around because you can buy equipment, you can buy training, but you can not buy experance and wisdom.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
08-17-2006, 11:02 AM,
All the remarks are very interesting. I just purchased the compressor and insurance to break even I'll need to do 675 fills in the next year Do you think I'll do it
08-17-2006, 01:23 PM,
Hey Rick, thanks for doing that. 675 tanks is a lot. Howver amortized over two years it is definitely doable. I am usually self sufficent when it come to air but I will certainlt pass your word and number around.
CJ
08-30-2006, 08:12 PM,
I'm all for supporting the local dive shops.  One good point made is it may attract more people to SCUBA.  What we as enthusiasts need to do is encourage the casual divers to explore the diving opportunities close to home. 

As for the issue of competition.....  Cold water diving is a more than just a casual sport.  The quality of instruction and equipment is a matter of health.  I'm concerned that Bob from camping supplies might give advice on a regulator that has a greater chance of free flowing in cold water.  As someone who recently had to deal with an "ebay good buy" problem I can tell you diving is a h**l of a lot more than price.  A freeflow at 70' on a deco bottle after a 250' dive is when you realize the extra $100 at a local shop is well worth it.