Remember me
Lost Password Register

something not adding up
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM,
something not adding up
hey guys new to the site and new to scuba.  one of my old friends that  live  around me in park rapids got me thinking about it.  but the only thing is that the i found a shop one day driving around one day in detroit lakes.  so i went in and the shop owner was talking about the classes around $300 plus books and also need to buy a mask fins and snorkal befor the class started. Is that a good deal or not?   

Second question is that my friend and i was looking in the brosure and he spoted something that didnt add up. That the owner has had OVER 2000 dives in, but has only been diving since 1997.  it just didnt seem right to him.  he was telling me that there was now way that could be.  because if she did that in 9 years she would have to dive 222 times a year. and in minnesotat you only really get about 4 mounth to dive in witch would put the owner at 55 dives mounth.  my friend  just said that would be impossible while running a shop.  i dont know if my friend is corect or not but i kinda makes sence to me also.  but i might be wrong.

so i was just wondering if any one knew of any other dive shops in my area so that i might have the chance to ask around.
07-06-2006, 08:48 AM,
Re: something not adding up
The class price seems reasonable.

If one dives with a dry suit, the local diving season is greatly extended.  I did my first local dive in April, when the ice went out, and will probably do my last local dive in November, before the ice goes in.  Some people dive in Lake Superior year around, and other dive under the ice.  Plus of course, many of us go to other places to dive during the winter.

I'll probably get in over 200 dives this year, though I had a bit of a jump start, did about 75 cave dives in Florida in January.

As far as other dive shops around, there is a page on this web site which lists local dive shops. 
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM,
Or maybe it does add up....

...Many shop owners aren't just business owners they are avid, extremely experienced divers. And many shop owners don't just dive locally, they travel on their own and run trips. And many shop owners are also instructors.

Think about their typical year. They might run 8+ open water training sessions each typically requiring 4 dives. Thats 32+ dives right there. And many of these people run local fun dives, often on days that business is slower (ie Wednesdays) so throw in about 20 fundives and you're over 50 dives. And many shops will run one or two dedicated dive weekends to the Mine Pits or Lake Superior, etc. So add in another 10+ dives there.  Then throw in a few more local dives here and there for their own pleasure and a shop owner (that dives locally) might easily dive 80+ diver per year (locally). If they dive dry, the number can be even higher.

Then look at travel related diving. Many shops offer 2-5 dive trips per year. Some shops run the typical week in Cozumel where the owner/host might get in 10+ dives per trip. Even more if they are run Part-II & Advanced certifications. Thats another 20-50 dives per year (minimum).

And some shops run dive trips with far more diving. This includes live-aboards and lengthier vactions (2+ weeks) where they might come back with 30+ dives from a single trip.

Consider this too, many of these people started into diving just like you are - they jumped in head first and still love it. During those initial years many people do a lot of travel and log LOTS of dives.

My guess is that the person you are referring to probably did a lot of diving prior to opening their own business. And once they opened a business their actual diving rate probably fell.

How about this, next time you visit her shop just ask her about her diving experiences.  I have a feeling a number like 2000 will seem much more realistic when you hear about the remote location trips, liveaboards, FAM-Trips, training, local events, etc.

07-06-2006, 11:07 AM,
My son took his OW with that shop,  and I use it often.  The owner has taken people diving herself just because they came into the shop looking for people to dive with (me for one).  Last time I stopped in the shop,  it was manned by her main instructor.  She took the day off to go diving.

If you take a look at her web site,  you might see something on the last shop trip.  As closely as my poor memory allows,  they went to the carribean for a couple weeks,  then palau for another week plus........Anthing less than 4 dives/day on a dive trip for her is wasting good air.

I dove with another mnscuba'er a couple weeks ago,  (and partied with sat ;D) good time (both).

He said he asked at the shop if she knew of anyone diving.  Sounds like she picked up the phone and told him where to be and at what time if he wanted to dive with a group she knew of.

There is another shop about 3 miles north of Detroit Lakes.  A commercial diver owns and runs it and carries sherwood.  I did a little business there in the last 2 weeks.......
The one in Detroit Lakes carries Scuba Pro and Tusa.
Both good, but different.  I find the one in town (only 1.5 blocks off Hiway 10) to be convienent.
PS.  I am a recovering perfectionist.  If they had any serious problem,  I'd let you know.
We are on the 12 step recovery plan,  but stuck on step 2.  (haven't got it just right yet)
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM,
PS.  welcome,  lets go diving!
Non-divers seem so,  well,  shallow.
07-07-2006, 08:37 AM,
Those numbers are probably right. I am a divemaster and do allot of trips on my own. I have been diving since "99" and have well over 500 dives. I posted earlier that I had 80 dives last year, just in Crosby.  Not counting Hawaii, Lake Superior and Wazee. In looking through my logbook I had one weekend that had 14 dives in it all below 30ft. (re-breathers are great).

I don't count training dives with OW2 students any more, but I could. I think the legal definition of a dive according to some agencies is 20" for 20 minutes.

Now I look for longer dives, maybe not as many. So this person is probably right. I envy that person. I wonder how they feel about adoption. I am trainable.

07-08-2006, 12:02 AM,
wtdrm....... U  R....    thats news to the rest of us!

TO POST ORIGINATOR....
AS for numbers not adding up.... I agree with everything that has been said above, except... the question of numbers on your part.

I would say that if the owner says she has that many dives logged, and with the experience she has,  I CAST MY VOTE FOR  HER.    BELIEVE IT.   

And I might also add.... that I was with WTDRM... when he made his 500th dive last year and if he wanted to count all those short shallow dives, I am sure he would have over 650  Chuck  you are allowed to count them... 

SO  WTDRM....  your saying that you basically like longer, deeper dives.    Have you discussed this with Stef.

maxfactor 

07-08-2006, 07:59 AM,
do freedives count?  my suunto shows 92 dives on July 4th alone  Wink and I was only in the water 3 or 4 hours.  it'd be a piece of cake for dives to add up.
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-08-2006, 02:45 PM,
lol, nice  Wink