Remember me
Lost Password Register

Madeira
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM,
Madeira
Dove Madeira two weekends ago with my daughter (her 1st time there & cold water diving) - 'had a blast.  Incredible conditions - 70 outside, 53 BW & perfectly calm.  Vis was down from previous years I've been there.  Very strange though: only one other couple was there on a beautiful Saturday - previous years about this time of the season, I could hardly find a place to set up my gear!

Attached Files
.jpg   Captain Janell at helm (Small).JPG (Size: 32.41 KB / Downloads: 218)
.jpg   major grinning (Small).JPG (Size: 35.52 KB / Downloads: 215)
.jpg_thumb   Captain Janell at helm (Small).JPG_thumb (Size: 29.99 KB / Downloads: 0)
.jpg_thumb   major grinning (Small).JPG_thumb (Size: 26.43 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-05-2007, 02:39 PM,
Re: Madeira
How old is  your daughter...and how experienced is she??  I have been thinking about taking my 14 yr old daughter out to the wreck, but she is not very experienced?  Any recommendations?
09-05-2007, 05:13 PM,
I think it is a good wreck for those with little experience.  The bow is in about 40 feet, and the viz is usually pretty good. 

To get there, just follow the bay along your left side in about 30 feet.  You will eventually find the shallower part of the wreck. 

As many times as I've been there, it never ceases to amaze me the violence of the wreck event...thick steel twisted like an aluminum can...
09-07-2007, 12:00 PM,
My daughter is 22, w/ 40 logged dives, AOW.  I think given the ideal conditions we encountered (except low vis), your 14 year old would be ok - probably really enjoy the experience.  However, conditions can vary - especially wind.  If waves are coming in, you have a challenging situation for a young diver.  Also, the surface swim out to the bouy is a fair distance, so again, conditions du jour should prevail in your decision to dive there or not.
09-08-2007, 01:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM by adventure40.)
Some of our staff at Adventure Sports Scuba recently did 2 dives on the Madeira.  The water was very calm, visibility was between 40 - 50 feet and it was a constant 57 degrees on the wreck.  We've posted some pictures on our website, videos will be coming soon.  Here's a link to look at the pictures.