Remember me
Lost Password Register

Bad Times Despite Great Dives at Crosby
08-06-2006, 09:34 PM,
Re: Bad Times Despite Great Dives at Crosby
ART.... on more thing.....  I am thinking of diving  Mil Lacs  in late Oct, or NOv.    to see if I can build a huge Christmas tree of  anchors on my front lawn for xmas of course. 

Its gonna be a scuba scupture that I hope to get some play out of.

Much like your last  Ice  diving expedition yielded You.  Are you interested?

I figure we can clean up the bottom of Mil Lacs  from all of the fisherman and women who lost at least 400 anchors this year.
No VULTURES DOWN THERE... just  remants from fisherman who don't know how to tie knots.

maxfactor.
08-07-2006, 06:18 AM,
Okay, so vultures could rip open garbage bags, but I agree that if that is the case, the people are still PIGS who would leave the garbage bags there.  Contrary to the belief of some, there really is no "garbage fairy."  Now do vultures also break glass bottles--you see LOTS of that everywhere around the pits and we've noticed it is often added to--AND--most importantly--do vultures shoot firearms?  And what about the human excrement from idiots who don't know how to manage those 'affairs' while away from home?????  Again it's the combination of these occurrences that has continually frustrated us and we're in agreement that it's time for DNR involvement and regulation before that area becomes totally ruined. 
Aly

In the meantime.....I VERY much appreciate the responses, especially the ideas of Maxfactor, BIO-Diver and Wetdream.  We also bring a couple of construction garbage bags (you can buy them at Menards or Home Depot) up with us.  They are far better as they are huge, bigger than leaf bags, and made from a very heavy mil plastic that resists tears even when broken glass is inside.  We DON't bring them back empty.  Our personal trash usually fits back in a bread bag in our cooler.  Last week before we dove the sight my friends and I did the best we could with what we had to clean it up.  This is pretty typical for us when we find a mess.  I know that there are others out there (divers and non-divers alike) who also clean up trashed sites.  When we went back to town to fill tanks at MSD, we explained to Todd what we had encountered.  Without batting an eye he offered the use of the MSD dumpster for us to deposit the trash as we’ve done before.  We all need to do what we can to keep the area clean.  The idea of writing down a license plate and reporting an individual to local law enforcement who is trashing the place is a great idea also. 
I've attached another photo of the site after we did what we could to clean it up.
Art

Attached Files
.jpg   8.jpg (Size: 43.7 KB / Downloads: 346)
.jpg_thumb   8.jpg_thumb (Size: 40.93 KB / Downloads: 0)
08-07-2006, 06:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-07-2006, 06:40 AM by MAXFACTOR.)
Art & Aly,   thanks for cleaning up the entire mess by the yahoo's that left the garbage in the first place. 

YOU TWO GET THE

MERIT OF MAX AWARD

thanks again.  All of us could take a lesson here.

maxfactor
08-07-2006, 09:08 AM,

Just make sure you don't get shot...

Racoons, could be racoons and vultures.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-07-2006, 09:16 AM,
Hey Art, you are a good enough detective. Any way any of the trash would point to where the pigs were from?
08-07-2006, 01:14 PM,
shame to see such garbage thrown around it is amazing how people will bag and leave behind when such little effort to haul out.
But unapproved dumping isn't much different than unapproved dive site dumping that I have seen there in the past few years
08-07-2006, 01:33 PM,
Hi Guys,
I think I could find a few people that would be willing to come up as a group and help clean up.
grumpie..........
some one pick a date in sept or oct.
08-07-2006, 03:25 PM,
I had another thought.
Boy and Girl Scouts are always looking for fund raisers.
Lets contact them.
08-07-2006, 03:47 PM,
You guys get something going, and I'm free, I'm there.
08-07-2006, 04:01 PM,
I think Grumpie has a pretty good idea there, but it would need to be on a regular basis, like first or second Saturday/Sunday of each dive month. 
On the other hand, Chuck (WTDRM) as a parent of a Cub Scout, I would be very concerned about having minors trying to clean up after these pigs! 
We, as responsible divers should try to do more to "set the stage" for proper use of our outdoor resources.  Don't go in the woods...Go to Fleet Farm and get a "Luggable Loo" portable john and a shelter or tarp to do your duty!
Hopefully when the DNR steps up the ante, there will be trash disposal and restrooms available...along with the drop box for fees!  It'd be nice to see these facilities "as Modern" as at Wazee!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!