Remember me
Lost Password Register

Training ( how far to go)
03-11-2002, 10:10 AM,
Training ( how far to go)
so at this point in your diving life how far up the training ladder are you planning to go, and will you stay with one agency? one shop? or try to spreadit arround?
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-11-2002, 10:17 AM,
Re: Training ( how far to go)
Well, right now I am planning on going up to Advanced Open Water and will probably stay with the same agency, just because I know them and they've treated me pretty good so far. I would like to ice dive next year, but don't know if I feel it's necessary to be certified in it as long as I do enough research on my own from experienced divers. I'd also like to do wreck diving and feel the same about that as I do ice diving. It's my personal opinion that a lot of these courses were created to make money. Yes, I'm sure there's lots of value added information you can get with getting certified, and it probably is worth it but at this point in time I just can't see spending too much more on training. Experience is you best guide... and until the Scuba Police chase me out of the water for not having enough certifications I'll leave it at that.
03-11-2002, 11:17 AM,
I'm pretty much in agreement with Chris on this one.  Experience is probably most important although I feel that if you intend to dive in overhead or enclosed environments such as caves or wreck penetrations that you absolutely SHOULD train and get certified for that.  Also keep in mind that some dive charters will require you to be at least advanced certified.
03-11-2002, 11:28 AM,
<br>I would definitely do the rescue diver course.  It gave me a greater comfort level dealing with dangerous situations.  <br><br>I plan to take the dive master course after I reach at least 50 dives.  I need more real world experience before taking it to another level.<br><br>I think training can only help.  The instructor is the most important part of the training.  A good instructor will teach you stuff that you can't find in the book.
--Jason
03-11-2002, 11:32 AM,
Re: Training
Sounds like you've had a really good experience, where have you been going for training if you don't mind me asking... Enquiring minds want to know!
03-11-2002, 11:37 AM,
as long as I asked the question I may as well give my answer...<br><br>I plan to do atleast rescue diver and train through both PADI and SDI for AOW but don't know where I'll end up after that.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-11-2002, 02:39 PM,
<br>I have done all my training with Scuba Center -- mpls & eagan.  <br><br>Here's how I rate them:<br><br>OW instructor -- simply fantastic (no longer there)<br>AOW -- not good<br>Medic firstaid - not good<br>Rescue -- very good<br><br>I feel that I'm batting .500.  Everything depends on the instructor.  I will definitely check to see who the instructors are before doing any more training.  I will probably train with a different shop just to see if there is a difference in quality.<br>
--Jason
03-12-2002, 02:52 AM,
It looks like I will probably end up going to DM with PADI and that would be all.  I am more interested in what GUE is doing.  Enough so, that a couple of us (no dive shops are involved) are importing a pair of instructors to teach a DIR Fundamentals course locally in early May.  I have talked to both instructors and to people who have taken the class with them and it looks like the class is going to be outstanding.<br><br>JoelW
03-14-2002, 03:28 PM,
when I first started diveing I kind of got cert fever.<br>figuring the more certification the better diver you were well that lasted about 2 years then I moved to arizona <br> and hooked up with two other divers  and we averaged about 6 dives a week and I learned more in that one year than I did in the two prior<br>[both divers I dove  with were very experienced}<br>so I geuss my take is the same as every body elses you learn by going out and diveing in as many places as you can and it also helps to be comfortable and confident with the people you buddy up with
03-14-2002, 06:40 PM,
brucev, ain't that the truth.  I had a shop tell me I could start dive master training after 20 dives, just had to wait until 60 to get the neato card.  Well, I don't want to be following a dm that learned how to be a dm after 20 dives.   I'm sure there are exceptions.
--Jason