Remember me
Lost Password Register

Training ( how far to go)
03-15-2002, 09:57 AM,
Re: Training ( how far to go)
joelw<br>when I first moved to arizona I took the rescue course and for our supposed 6 dives we only used one tank!<br>I left feeling like I needed to take the hole class over agian then to boot the girl I was buddied up with the following week started her dm couse with only 19 dives{ 6 of which were from the rescue course}<br><br>so I do'nt really go on certifcation level so much as actually diving with someone after the first dive you know if you want to get back in the water with them<br>brucev
03-20-2002, 09:16 AM,
I plan on doing AOW because several dive boats in Cozumel would not take you to certain sites without an AOW or a logbook to demonstrate you abilities.  I do keep a log, but getting the card seems the simpler solution.<br><br>I was commenting over on scubaboard.com that I have 29 dives and am now feeling I have enough control over myself and my equipment to attempt AOW.  After OW I didn't do AOW because my Instructor recommended gatting in 20 or more dives before AOW.<br><br>Will I go to DM?  Maybe, but for my own sense of accomplishment.  <br><br>Cheers,  Starfish
03-28-2002, 10:35 AM,
The sad thing about training is the fact that a lot of LDS's aren't the ones making the money, it's the organizations. Hopefully this can change. Maybe someone can clear this up for me?
03-28-2002, 12:41 PM,
I found that it's up to each individual to where they go on to, where they stay, and where they remain. What's great for one isn't necessary for another, and no single agency is the right key to success for diving. <br><br>For those like me, who get bored easily, taking aditional training will help me quite a bit. If you one who always needs a goal to achieve, earning certifications is not a bad option. But it's an expensive way to keep your skills up. Some classes I won't take because the cost of what you earn is not worth it to me. (though, I always learn something new no matter how well I think I know something!) And I believe continuing my diving education will always make me a better diver.<br><br>I really believe that classes such as the Advanced, Rescue, Deep, Navigation, and Search & Recovery are quite valuable and a lot of fun. They also instill a greater confidence and improved safety inside as a diver. (The Rescue Course is the most valuable and fun course I've ever had, I highly recommend it! Along with the DAN 02 Provider) For these courses, I believe you need an experienced professional by your side, or you may learn some bad habits, and mistakes that could be easily avoided. (I've met a lot of people who "think" they are great divers, but in reality have skills that are quite lacking, and having professional guidance would have helped them very much)<br><br>Other specialties are more gloss, and/or strictly there for fun, or for people not wanting to learn as many "technical" aspects to diving...such a photography, naturalist, peak performance buoyancy, altitude, etc. You could pick up a Reef Fish ID book, and learn as much from those guides as any class would teach you. You can learn to plan an altitude dive straight from the altitude compensation tables, the dives themselves don't change.<br><br>But some people don't dive unless they are in a class, or they are uncomfortable without an Instructor by their side. But if they are diving, so what! For those people, I wouldn't want to see them not diving if that's the case. (Whatever floats your boat)<br><br>I think PADI/SSI/DIR/NAUI, etc, etc...all are there to sell you fun. Sell is a key word. It's unfair that we have to pay for the materials, training, etc. But they do have professionals out there, taking the time, effort, and responsibility to learn and become experienced at them, to be able to teach us. Then they have to write a book, that is responsible, yet fun, then sell the book for their effort. I get asked from fellow divers if one agency is better than the other, I don't think so, and I'd be leary of one saying it's better than the other. I just make sure that whatever agency, instructor, etc I utilize is current and insured. That's important. If I'm going to be under someone's guidance, they better be very responsible.<br><br>And I think you guys are right, it all comes down to the instructor. I've seen some of them cut corners, and some "by the book". It's their personality that sells the fun to me, and that can vary greatly.<br><br>The LDS are making money on the courses, otherwise they wouldn't offer them. But sometimes, they need a certain amount of people to keep them out of the red based on costs. Plus they have their lights, building, pool, materials, vehivcles, equipment to pay for. All their instructors get paid, PADI doesn't mark much up from retail (My Divemaster price book from PADI is only slightly lower than retail, then I still pay for shipping ontop - so do the LDS) Some of the classes are really cheap, like the Medic Classes. But those of you getting into technical diving, bend over big time! That's where the LDS are going to make a lot of money on training! Some are embracing that to offset the losses to the internet, etc.<br><br>I just take each course individually, then stop for a while, do a bunch of dives to reflect on what I learned and let the good habits I was taught become instilled (gaining that all-valuable EXPERIENCE under my belt), then when I find a need for something new, I take the next step...<br><br>That's one great thing about this sport, you can never stop learning!
05-01-2002, 12:58 PM,
Way to go ccuda  ;D
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............