Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diving on the Ely and Hesper
08-26-2006, 10:52 PM,
Diving on the Ely and Hesper
Just got back from diving the shipwreck, Ely.  Nice diving today, the clarity was slightly poor do to the wind out of the south. The water was being pushed around the shore side on the breakwater and lots of silt was stirred  up. The water temperature, 64 degrees at 30 feet. It sure beats the 40 degrees earlier this year. The ladder on the breakwater is a little scary.

In the afternoon, two of us took our boat, a cruiseliner, 16ft yacht with a 25 hp and with enough room for gear and one passenger out to the Hesper, the lake had some decent rollers with chop which always makes it interesting when you are in a popcan with a motor.

As we were pulling up to the mooring buoy, I kept a look out for other divers in water. No safety dive buoys were seen so we moored and geared up. As the first diver hit the water, I noticed air bubbles :o coming up about 10 yards from the mooring and  >SadNO SAFETY DIVE BUOY  >Sadbeing pulled. The other divers didn't stay on the wreck, I would have liked to have a discussion with them on the topic of dive safety.  Anyway, the diving was great, water temp 64 degrees at 40 feet and the clarity was much better with vis at 20+. 

The dive parking lot at Split Rock's Madeira was full of cars and divers, hope to hear the report of the diving.

Dive safe, use a safety dive buoy Smile