Remember me
Lost Password Register

Two Part Question
08-18-2006, 03:44 PM,
Two Part Question
I am asking for some advice that focuses on local dive shops.  I have been certified for about 8 years but only have about twice as many logged dives.  However, after doing about seven or eight of those dives on a recent trip I've come to re-realize how much I actually enjoy the sport.  In light of that I want to invest in equipment that can be used in mainly cold water but also warm and will also be useful for wreck diving (possible future course).  Based on my experience I have not tried many different setups so:

1) What dive shops in the Minneapolis area are good about renting out various types of equipment to try and are helpful and patient with new divers during the selection process?

The second question involves a few friends of mine who are interested in trying scuba before deciding to get certified (I need buddies right Wink ).

2)  Are there discover scuba courses in Minnesota that do actual open-water discover scuba dives as opposed to just pool experience?

That was a little longer than planned but I like being clear on situations.

Thanks alot,

Joe
08-18-2006, 04:39 PM,
Re: Two Part Question
Innerspace, here in Duluth, has a couple of instructors who will take "Discover Scuba" students to Ore-B-Gone, which is a mine pit about an hour north of here.  If Lake Superior is behaving, Brighton Beach is also a good choice.  I've been with some of these sessions, and it's amazing watching people underwater for the first time!  Some are timid, and others are, let's say, just a little too bold.  But, it is a fun experience!
08-18-2006, 04:47 PM,
Yea, I think Innerspace is where I got certified ( I'm from Duluth) and was at Brighton Beach about 2 months ago for a refresher course open water dive and needless to say it was not one of the Lake's happy days so that didn't happen.  Thanks for the info on Ore-B-Gone, I will check it out.  Keep the suggestions coming folks.
08-18-2006, 07:16 PM,
This summer Lake Superior has been fantastic for fun dives, refresher dives, and training.  The water has been very warm...almost too warm after pulling on all your gear in the heat we had...but don't let it fool you.  We've been out on a fairly calm day, no rollers or whitecaps, and 40 minutes later, there are 3 foot rollers beating you onto the shore.  'Tis a big lake!

I really enjoy just being in the water.  I find that even just looking at the underwater terrain, I am totally in the moment.  I'm focused on what I'm doing, and what I'm seeing, and what I'm feeling.  As far as I'm concerned, for 40 minutes or so, there is NO outside world stalking my mind...no bills, no work, no world conflicts, no stupid drivers, no blizzards, no nothing.  I can cruise, fly, stand on my head if I want to.  It's like nothing I've ever experienced in my life.

And, ya never know just what you may find down there....  Big Grin
08-18-2006, 10:24 PM,
Hey, Joe,

I just sent you a PM and welcome to the board. Just a suggestion, to stay active grab the oppurtunities you see here for diving.

Dan
08-19-2006, 10:11 AM,
There are a lot of good local scuba stores in the Twin Cities.  One that I like is Scuba Dive & Travel at 44th & Nicollet, who rents out cold water gear and also has lots of weekday fun dives and weekend dives at Wazee and Crosby.  Sorry but no idea on Discover Scuba dives.....
08-19-2006, 03:31 PM,
On the northside of the Twin Cities, Smith Diving has Intro to Scuba classes and also rents gear and sponsors many fun dives. They are THE NAUI training center in Minnesota.
08-20-2006, 08:09 PM,
Thank you for the response
08-30-2006, 08:05 PM,
Discover SCUBA is a PADI course that most PADI shops will offer.

As far as shops there are many good ones.  Several years ago I moved back to MN and investigated dive shops.  The good ones I found were Scuba Dive & Travel (SDT), Smith Diving and Going Under.  I initially selected SDT because of location and I'm lucky I did.  Awesome group and a lot of very skilled divers who have challenge me to improve my technique and become a student of SCUBA. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of local diving.  I was a warm water diver til a few years ago and now I get bored on reefs, I long to get to the shipwrecks of the Great Lakes.