Remember me
Lost Password Register

APOLLO BIO PRO ADJ. STRAP FINS
08-23-2006, 07:55 PM,
APOLLO BIO PRO ADJ. STRAP FINS
Hey All !!!

Whats your opinion of APOLLO BIO PRO ADJ. STRAP FINS ??

Thanks,
Tommy J.
08-24-2006, 07:43 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-24-2006, 07:55 PM by LKunze.)
Re: APOLLO BIO PRO ADJ. STRAP FINS
I'd suggest stopping into a local dive shop and asking if they would rent you a pair of split fins to compare them with regular blade fins if you haven't tried splits before.  If you have tried splits and like them then disregard my comments. Personally I do not like split fins as I found they really only worked well for the flutter kick.  For local diving I rarely fin with a flutter kick as it kicks up silt.  I mainly do a frog and a modified frog kick and blades work better for that than splits in my opinion.
10-18-2006, 12:12 PM,
I think they SUCK! :o.  It was the first pair of fin's that I owned.  I was using them on a deep dive in heavy current on Florida's east  Coast.  I could not keep up with the rest of the dive team and the harder I kicked the less momentum I got, and the more my legs cramped up.  It was actually pretty dangerous situation.  I borrowed a pair of stiff fin's from somebody else on the boat and had no more trouble.  I was able to get more penetration and range with my shafts with these fins as well. >Big Grin

For the recreational diver who might not be in that great of shape and who just wants to drift along and see the pretty sites.  I'm sure these fins will work just fine.  I'm eventually going to switch to the extra long free diving style fins
10-18-2006, 08:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-19-2006, 07:59 PM by DiverQueen.)
So often fin fit is based on how the foot pocket fits to the booties or drysuit boots the diver wears.  Not so much emphasis is given to the blade material and flex to function dynamics.  The "Nature's Wing" design was created to reduce fatigue to the leg muscles of the recreational diver.  But it's not the best fin choice for someone who needs speed and "traction" in the water.  For that a stiffer carbon fiber or rigid plastic polymer is required.   Other fin designs such as the Mares Plana Quattro utilize a four channel design to allow a specific amount of flex, while still maintaining the propulsion capability of the water in the center of the flexed zone.

For my first open water dives, I used an older pair of Sea Quest Kevlar blades.  I got muscle cramps due to their rigidity and my being out of shape for the shape I was in!!  The second day I used standard rubber full foot fins and aside from the fact that I could chillingly feel the thermocline, I had no cramps because they were a more flexible and forgiving material.

If the shop gives you the option,  "try it before you buy it!" 

Try to rent a variety of fins before you settle on what you think might work best. 

Check the "ScubaLab" test results for various aspects of fin design and function. 

Ask your fellow divers what they like about the fins they dive with.
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!