Remember me
Lost Password Register

My dive shop tour
08-23-2006, 08:39 PM,
My dive shop tour
I just read JoeKScuba's post, "two part question". Rather than reply to his thread, I started this.

I too have been shopping for gear. I got certified back in June after taking a SCUBA class at the U of M. Recently I went on a Superior wreck dive. That was it. I’m hooked.

Anyway, back to equipment. I visited 6 dive shops over the past three weeks. Here’s a quick opinion (please bare in mind that my opinion is often based on one visit, it may have been to owner working, an attentive employee who cared, or something else).

Northland Divers, Nice shop, associated with the instructor who taught me. Myron is a nice guy, bought a mask. Went back and investigated packages. I didn’t buy one but I will go back for more stuff.

Air Down There, Spend about 10 minutes looking at equipment. The shopkeeper was visiting with a regular. Never said hi or asked if I needed help. I’ll give the store some credit though, I overheard that the owner was on a trip and the shopkeeper was not a regular employee. It sounds like my experience was not the norm.

Going Under, Nice shop, one young lady politely asked if I needed assistance. The rest of the group hanging around was pretty involved in their own scene. Not a fit for me.

Scuba Center Mpls., The shop keeper tried to sell me a wet suit that was clearly not anywhere my size according to the chart, never asked if I’d like to try it on. Maybe he would have been more attentive had I not I interrupted his quiet afternoon.

Scuba dive and travel, Nice shop. Bonnie is wonderful. I had my kids with me when I visited. She took it all in stride. I picked up a snorkeling package for my daughter. I went back again to check out a wet suit. She encouraged me to try it on. I didn’t buy it but felt bad for taking up her time and needed a flashlight anyway, so I bought one.

Smith Diving, Nice shop. Picked up a snorkel a month or two ago. The sales person remembered me. I asked about wet suits. I tried on one and learned a lot in the process. Wound up buying my wet suit on-line but closed the deal on a new BC, Reg, comp, tank package from them today.

Remember, just opinions based on as few as one visit. It does show how good old fashion service makes a difference. Check out a bunch of shops, ask questions, research products in magazines, on-line forums like this one, etc. I enjoyed my SCUBA shop tour. I’d recommend it to anyone looking for a local dive shop to call their own.

P.S. sorry for the long post. Hopefully you quit reading if you weren’t interested  Smile
08-24-2006, 04:37 AM,
Re: My dive shop tour
Glad to hear that you "tried on" a few shops before making any $$ decisions.  Smith Diving is one of my favorites too, and it's where I got certified through.  This past week has been tough on them with the car accident death of a dear friend and dive instructor.
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
08-24-2006, 10:55 AM,

I know pretty much everyone at the smith diving shop. Who was in an accident? When i read your post i was stunned as i didn't know anything about this. I stop in the shop all the time and chat with josh or lee.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
08-24-2006, 11:17 AM,

I know pretty much everyone at the smith diving shop. Who was in an accident? When i read your post i was stunned as i didn't know anything about this. I stop in the shop all the time and chat with josh or lee.
[/quote]
Here is a link to the info on this from Smith's website.
08-24-2006, 05:17 PM,
This is a very good thread.  From what I have heard the shops that you visited are some of the better ones of the area and your experiences pretty much confirm it.  For those who work at or frequent the shops that might not have had a sparkeling review any ideas or explinations why?