Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver Dies at Louise
08-28-2006, 08:05 AM,
Diver Dies at Louise
I read the following news report in this mornings Star and Tribune.  Does anyone have any additional information.  We are such a small community that this really hits home.

A 47-year-old man who was diving in an old pit mine near Crosby, Minn., died in an apparent drowning Sunday, Crow Wing County authorities said.
People at the scene tried reviving the man, who had been underwater for 10 to 15 minutes, but he was pronounced dead at Cuyuna Regional Medical Center in Crosby. His name was being withheld pending notification of his family.

The incident occurred about 11:40 a.m. Sunday in the Louise pit mine in Irondale Township. The pit now is filled with water and has been stocked with fish, authorities said.
08-28-2006, 08:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-28-2006, 08:43 AM by LKunze.)
Re: Diver Dies at Louise
I read that too in the strib. I was really surprised to hear this. Does anyone have any further info on what happened?
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
08-28-2006, 08:25 AM,
Here is the entire article from the STRIB:

Diver drowns in old mine pit near Crosby
Associated Press

CROSBY, Minn.— Crow Wing County authorities are trying to determine whether an equipment malfunction may have caused the death of a diver in a mine pit lake.

The sheriff's office was called to Louise Pit near Crosby shortly after 11:30 a.m. Sunday.

A diver, identified only as a 47-year-old Chaska man, was under water for 10 to 15 minutes. People at the scene tried to revive him, but he was pronounced dead at Cuyuna Regional Medical Center in Crosby.

The victim was part of a group of divers from Elk River.

"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
08-28-2006, 08:53 AM,
I was hoping somebody had more details.  we heard some initial reports over the county dispatch channels, but no details on who/how.  Did a night dive Saturday with some folks from the GUDC Jamboree - when we heard it happened at Louise I thought it could be from that gang.  Condolences to the family and friends involved.
Some people are like Slinkeys - not much good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!
08-28-2006, 09:00 AM,
Even though i don't believe that i know the diver that died, we are a close knit community as scuba divers in MN. I have dove that pit myself on numerous occasions and this fatality hits pretty close to home for me.

I would also like to offer my condolences to the family of the diver.
08-28-2006, 09:37 AM,
I would like to express my condolences to the family of the diver.  I know the diver's friends, some of whom are members of mnscuba, are grieving today.  It is always tragic to lose one of the locals in a place we all frequent.  It drives home the fact that diving can be a dangerous activity.  Some of the people present during the incident may provide more details at a later time. 
--Jason
08-28-2006, 09:52 AM,
He was an active and well known diver who was up there with the GUDC get together. If they're withholding the name because some kin have not been notified, I'd feel uncomfortable giving his name out now. From what we can best surmise he went unconsious underwater and was separted from his buddy at about 80 feet. All efforts to revive him failed. He was not consious when found at the surface with his reg in his mouth, which was before his buddy could do a short search and then reach the surface.

He was one of the best of us and will be sorely missed. I'm sure more word will come out after everyone is sure all his family has been notified. As of yesterday at the site, there was no known reason as to what caused the accident. We just have to wait to find out. But he did not have an out of air emergency and did have a bail out supply.

For myself I'm still in a bit of shock and even writing this little bit is difficult.
Cary
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM,
:'( :'( :'(
I was there, but I as well won't name the diver yet without permission from someone, but I can tell you the diver was on a rebreather and the cause of death is not yet known. Everyone in the GUDC group is crushed and MN scuba divers have lost one of the best of our fraternity.
Lee
08-28-2006, 12:24 PM,
Ozzey and I too knew the diver.  Our condolences go out to his family, friends and the whole dive community.  It is always hard for us to loose a fellow diver.

Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM,
My sincere condolunces to the family of a great kind and gentle man. 

My time with him will always be remembered.  Four of us were at the last campfire with him the night before as we closed down for the night. 

My comments will be withheld until all family members have been contacted.

A great lesson and reminder must go out to all of us on this very sad announcement. 

Our community has lost a great guy, and a man who had a passion for diving. 

Lets all say our silent prayers for him, his family and for all divers and ourselves and our own families.

MaxFactor