Remember me
Lost Password Register

Knife Island
08-28-2006, 04:34 PM,
Knife Island
Dove just NE of Knife Island, at the mouth of the Knife River Saturday.  Lake Superior was nice and warm, with a bit of a chop.  As soon as I left the boat, I could tell there was a substantial current...

Fought against the current on the dive, over a 30' wall, into about 70'.  Lots of debris down there.  Of course, we missed the boat on the way back by about a half block or so.  Quite the workout to get back to it.

Our second dive, we left someone on the boat.  Did a drift dive along the slope of rocks down to 92'.  Unbelievably warm...62°@92'.  Two weeks ago it was a balmy 41°!

All in all, two very fun dives.  I just love this warm water thing we've had this summer ;D
08-28-2006, 06:38 PM,
Re: Knife Island
Cool, a drift dive in Lake Superior.  I've yet to experience any noticeable currents in Lake Superior but I've only done dives on the Wilson, Madeira, Hesper and Ely.  Not sure any of those dive sites get any current.
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM,
Was up diving the Madeira Fri-Sun, and we had to pass on 3 dives on Fri due to waves.  Got a dive in later just before 5pm, still had some good sized waves to deal with.  It did seem to me that there was some current on the Madeira, that and a little surge at depth too.  Temp was warm, first time diving Superior and I was expecting cold...but only saw 61F at 111ft.
08-28-2006, 08:06 PM,
Man, that is awesome water temps for the Madeira.  The warmest I've ever experienced there was 52F.  I hope it's still warm when I go up in a couple weeks.
08-29-2006, 03:54 AM,
The thing with Lake Superior temps is totally dependent on the wind.  That wind last week drove ALOT of surface water in for two or three days.  All it will take is a couple of days of driving westerly wind to push all the warmth away, and suck up that cold stuff from 600', or however deep it goes.
08-29-2006, 12:29 PM,
Re: wind & water temps
Wind is definitely a big factor in surface temps on Superior....  At Isle Royale on August 11, we had 39F from surface to bottom.  Next day was 62F down to 30 feet with a ripping current, thanks to 30-knot winds from across the lake.