Remember me
Lost Password Register

What would you want?
11-19-2002, 11:44 AM,
What would you want?
Just wondering what everyone would like to see in the "perfect" dive shop? Other than extremely low prices, free gear etc. Realistically, what would make the dive shop a place you would keep coming back to again and again and what would make you go there in the first place?

11-19-2002, 11:52 AM,
Re:What would you want?
Hmmm, good question...

1. Respect
2. Education
3. A friendly place to hang out and talk about diving
4. Variety of gear
5. Curteous employees
6. Convenient hours of operation
7. Online sales
8. Excellent and timely service/repair
11-19-2002, 12:28 PM,
Reasonably priced air/ Nitrox

I also think a good dive shop should have an informative website that is updated regularly.
11-19-2002, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-19-2002, 12:55 PM by freedivernd.)
I really like Chris' answer.
What I like to see kinda falls under 1 and 3 and 4: Treat Freedivers somewhat as equals, or at least acknowledge them as divers. Carry some freediving equipment (not necessarily "free" diving equipment, but that wouldn't hurt me much).

Also, I would like to see a 100' deep tank!!!!! Get one of those and I'll be there. Hey, every dive shop should have one.

Do me a favor and let newbies know that there is another way to get down to -40', I want more company! ;D

I think everyone enjoys the outtings or events. Treasure hunts, crayfish feeds, pumpkin carving, etc.

I am certified SSI OW, but would like everyone to join me on a -40 or -50' dive, or more sometime. Just like scuba divers would like non-divers to experience diving, I would like all of you to experience freediving as I have.

Fred

Cold and dark down there huh?
11-19-2002, 07:33 PM,
The perfect diveshop would be strongly integrated with the internet. I should be able to buy or rent gear from a diveshop website and then drive there to pick it up. The gear would be priced within 20% of internet rates.

I should be able to schedule maintenance/repair and then receive an email message when the work is complete.

The perfect dive shop would be educated about various technical diving disciplines -- and not just promote the one they "sell".

The perfect dive shop would promote weekly fun dives at interesting regional dive sites. How about monthly campouts at Crosby or Wazee? How about about running an inflatable up to Superior monthly to see some of the wrecks? We need fun events for intermediate and expert level divers.

The perfect dive shop would have air available outside the shop. You know, like a gas station. Pop in a couple dollars and fill up yer tanks. Wink

--Jason
11-19-2002, 09:43 PM,
I have to agree with many of the responses so far, especially the use of the internet with shopping, events and service. I, also, agree with a variety of weekly fun dives and an occasional weekend dive trip. More brand names and prices closer to internet pricing is another "big" plus.
I want to take my business to the dive shop that trained me. It's a loyalty thing. So, a variety of brand names and good prices would be great. I have a tendency to research big ticket items and would like to find them at "my" shop. They certified me. It's like giving back in thanks for training me. Finding what I like isn't a problem, I have at least 5 dive shops within 15 min. (city minutes) from my house. It's just loyalty.
Feed me, dress me, entertain me. I'm yours.
11-20-2002, 10:27 AM,
I think most everything has been covered. Maybe some good trips, along with some community involvement. Cleanup dives, treasure hunts, that sort of thing.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
11-20-2002, 11:32 AM,
Ok, we have quite a few great thoughts on a "perfect dive shop". I have a few questions though. The internet seems to be becoming a real competition for dive shops. How can a dive shop compete with the internet? Shops have payrolls, insurance, building overhead, shipping fees among other things which selling on the net does not have. A shop can't purchase an item from the manufacturer and have it sent to them without paying shipping. Should the shipping fees be passed on to the buyer?
Having "pay per use" outside air sounds like a great idea, just not feasible, but I have to give it to you for coming up with the idea!
Outings for both advanced and new divers is a great idea. There's not enough of it.
How often should a shop have a "get together?" How many trips should a shop plan for each year? What time of year should these things happen? I like winter trips because it's just too hot during summer months in warm water destinations, at least for me personally.
Catering to free divers is also a good idea, but how many of them are out there in this area?
What about scuba get togethers during the colder months?
11-20-2002, 03:00 PM,
The shops on the net do have to meet payrolls, pay insurance, shipping, etc. The only significant differences between the internet shops and the local dive shop is that internet shops do not provide training or airfills, and they sell much more equipment. Many of the online shops are just an online extension of a "real" dive shop. They are using their vendor relationships to buy goods and sell on the net.

The LDS could begin selling gear locally on the net. It doesn't cost much. Customers can then buy gear 24x7 without the need to interact with a salesperson. You can potentially reduce payroll (or maintain it) while increasing sales. If you want to compete with internet shops you have to compete on the same turf.

The LDS can increase training fees and decrease equipment prices. It seems like the LDS uses equipment sales to subsidize training costs. They use deals like "buy this equipment package and we will throw in training". I can understand these packaged deals from a marketing perspective. But if I don't need more training and just want to buy gear it doesn't make any sense. Of course maybe in this market 90% of gear buyers also want training. I may just be in the minority.

The shops should have one "get together" a month. Pick an interesting regional location (no more square lake). I think it would be cool to invite a "dive expert" to each gathering. The dive expert could provide mini-seminars on dry suit techniques, equipment maintenance, navigation, etc. Or maybe topics like underwater archeology, search and recovery, overhead environments. I'm not talking about padi specialty classes. Diving with a purpose. Diving is always fun, but when you add a goal it becomes memorable.

--Jason
11-21-2002, 01:03 PM,
I am new to this board but would like to mention that I have noticed a very distinct pattern forming- Buy online, your local dive shop is gouging you. I can see from your posts that you have no idea how shops are governed by the dealer agreements that they have with the manufacturers of the gear that they sell. Many manufacturers have what is called an MRP which is very different from the common MSRP. An MRP is a minimum retail price that a dive store can sell an item for without risking losing the product line due to a violation of the dealer agreement. Many online sites are not governed by those rules because they are not an authorized dealer for the product. The other way to get around it is to sell from outside of the US, only dealers in the US are required to have dealer agreements, beleive me if the dive stores could get by without them, they would. Instead of blaming your local dive store for having prices that are too high, why not go to the source and complain to the manufacturers. Dive stores have been fighting this for quite a while now and if the consumers speak up and let the manufacturers know how they feel, maybe something will finally be done. This is my two cents worth.

Also.. Jason.. have you ever tried asking your local dive shop to e-mail you when your gear is done? Most stores are connected to the internet, I'm sure all you have to do is ask.