Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ice Diving
08-31-2006, 09:05 AM,
Ice Diving
Does anyone really cut holes in the ice to dive?  I thought only fishermen slice the ice.  What is it like under the ice?  Besides being really, really cold?  Please enlighten me.  Thanks!
08-31-2006, 09:24 AM,
Re: Ice Diving
Click the Search button up at the top and type in "Ice Diving".  You'll get plenty of past threads about ice diving.  Many of them have some "cool" pictures in them as well. Wink
08-31-2006, 09:34 AM,
If you're already accustomed to cold water, it's not much worse.  (39F in Lake Superior in the summer vs 36F under ice....)

Here are some photos from last winter; we wanted to do an ice dive with scooters and went to Wazee under the pretense of researching the condition of the platform at the south boat launch:

And here are photos from the west platform reconstruction project a couple years ago:

A nice winter day on the ice is much better than a hot, buggy, sun-burny day in the summer!
08-31-2006, 10:29 AM,
I certified last winter for Ice Diving. I love it. I used a dry suit and was confortable for 4- 20 minute dives and you don't overheat on the surface interval!

Question: The links to the pics don't show guide lines or safety lines like I was taught. How do they protent a speedy exit?

thanks!
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
08-31-2006, 01:10 PM,
Quote:Question: The links to the pics don't show guide lines or safety lines like I was taught. How do they protent a speedy exit?
We used a permanently mounted guideline to get from the exit to the platform; in it shows up as a bright orange line.

Using a scooter while attached to safety lines is difficult and not very safe.  Everyone in our group used redundant gear (cave configuration) so we didn't need to have someone drag us out on a line if we had an emergency.
08-31-2006, 05:49 PM,

10-03-2006, 08:42 PM,
Hi Roger,
I also am ice certified.  the newbie makes some good points.
re:  training.

Thanks for the pictures.  I do have some questions  re:  pictures:

6410...    is that a generator, or an air compressor.    If a compressor, are you using that to supply air to a diver under the ice?

6463....  is the tender    tending 2 separate divers?

6464....  do you have ready divers on deck? 

maxfactor.
12-12-2006, 03:12 PM,
ATTENTION DIVE SHOPS...

I have 4 indivduals that would like to sign up for an ICE DIVING CLASS.  I would like to offer them up for a favor.  In other words,  I've been doing my job promoting this great sport, and would like to give you 4 new customers.  Let me know your favor...

But the best part of it all is,  I've got others coming on board as well.

maxfactor
12-12-2006, 10:12 PM,
Well newdiver, being under the ice is quite unique, and is slightly comparable to swimming in a pool with the cover on.  It requires some special training and is really a very fun class to take.

Fisherman are not the only one that cut the holes; us divers do as well.  But our techniques were derived from spear fisherman (darkhouse fisherman, etc), by cutting triangular holes to allow a safe entry/exit point.  Spearfisherman have since evolved to using the rectangular hole, but us divers still use the triangular method. Since I, myself, am an avid fisherman and love the ice, it was only natural to ice dive. 

The most profound mind in the area, and who literally wrote the book, is Ron Benson of Going Under Dive Center located on the Maple Grove, Osseo border, and is a fantastic instructor and quite inspiring and insightful; more or less just a joy to listen to.

Well, best of luck to you, and try gettin' out there, you will not regret it!

Raj
12-15-2006, 05:24 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-15-2006, 05:28 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
this is starting to remind me of the song/soundtrack......    a beautiful mind.

That being said,  I will be diving with at least 3 different shops this winter for / with they're ice dives days.  I will be giving a good evaluation of each.

max