Remember me
Lost Password Register

Keeping wet in Winter
09-01-2006, 08:05 AM,
Keeping wet in Winter
As the summer ends, I was wondering do any shops have ways to keep active during the winter?  I know you can do trips, but does anyone do pool stuff?
09-01-2006, 09:37 AM,
Re: Keeping wet in Winter
I've heard the Mall of America allows dives in the aquarium but it's kind of expensive. I've talked to two divers that really had a good time and didn't mind the price. They said it's two dives on one tank. One fresh and one salt water.

There is always Ice Diving if you have the c-card or want to take the class. My dive shop rented us dry suits. I consider my Ice dives only second to the Medeira. (it's my only steel wreck)

Bayfild, WI wasn't froze much of last winter, home owner told me. The Wreck of the Fin McCool and some other points of interest are shore dives. The upside is Bayfield has other winter fun going on if you like ski, snow shoe....

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
09-01-2006, 02:55 PM,
Adventure Sports in Eden Prairie, has a pool.
09-01-2006, 05:37 PM,
Going Under Dive Center and Scuba Center in Eagan have indoor pools also.  A Diver's World and a few other shops have open pool options (at other locations) for those who have purchased equipment packages from them.  Some Community Center pools have rental pool time where you may be able to schedule a dive time with or without lifeguards on site$$!
I just go to Fun Float Fridays at the Brooklyn Center Community Center where they allow pool toys and "Full" snorkel gear!  The cost is about $4.50 for adults + - depending on whether you get water slide wristband or not.
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
09-01-2006, 06:22 PM,
I know that it's a little bit of a drive for all of you, but Lend-Der charters run all winter long- and have for over 20 years.

You need a drysuit and a redundant air source (H-valve, pony bottle, doubles) to dive in the winter time.

BTW: I am totally biased as I've worked for them for years and even married the Capitan's daughter. Smile

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
09-02-2006, 08:01 AM,

Aye.... was it that or walk the plank?  Smile  or maybe it was more like Jacob and Rachel.
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-03-2006, 08:40 PM,
You know , I have a great idea...
Why don't you come down and swim in the pools around my place.  They are really fun during the winter and nice and warm too...
Don't need to chop a hole in the ice !!!
Don't even need a dry suit either...

Jean
Fort White , Florida

P.S.  And even have a fun vacation too !!!  ;D ;D ;D
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
09-04-2006, 09:53 AM,
As a SCUBA diver I actually look forward to winter here in Minnesota  :o :o :o :o….You begin this thread by asking if any of the local dive shops offer any options during the winter.  You indicate that there are trips to warm destinations and pool options.  I would like to point out another option.  I dive throughout the winter right here in Minnesota.  In many ways the diving is actually BETTER in the winter ;D ;D  You do not overheat getting on your exposure suit.  The visibility is generally far better in the winter.  You can drive your vehicle to within feet of where you wish to make your dive, so you don’t need to haul your gear as far.  You have NO worries about the dangers of boat traffic. 

Obviously diving under the ice requires a bit more training  :Smile.  Most of the local dive shops offer classes in ice diving.  The only prerequisite would be your completion of an advanced dive class.  Minnesota winters last a loooong time.  If you live here and want to dive year round THIS is the answer.   ;D