Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: So Do You Think I'm Stupid?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
33.33%
1 33.33%
No
0%
0 0%
I'm Stupid Too, So Don't Worry...
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Sorb Storage
09-15-2006, 08:26 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2006, 08:33 AM by Mark Y.)
Sorb Storage
Does anyone know of a reason why I cannot store sorb in gasoline or kerosene plastic cans?  Of course I'm speaking of new ones that've never actually contained fuel.

For what it's worth, in what do you store your sorb?
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-27-2006, 06:24 AM,
Re: Sorb Storage
I just store mine in the jugs it comes in.  Are you trying to use smaller containers?  I'm not sure of the exact permeation properties of the kerosene containers, but I would think that they would be equally resistant to letting water and CO2 through.
09-27-2006, 08:31 AM,
The 5 gallon container the sorb comes in is fine, but its akward to bring it aboard a dive boat.  So I do break it down.  I use an old Draeger container and a kerosene/gasoline container for transport.  I'm not worried about CO2 or water... will the plastic effect the sorb...

OK, it is a stupid question, as the sorb comes in a plastic container, I'm wondering if there is a difference in the plastics...

OK... I'm stupid... I just realized it...

So should I start a poll on 'Am I Stupid?'  ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
09-27-2006, 07:43 PM,
Mark
I don't think the plastic will affect the sorb but thru many past experiences I wonder about having anything in a gas container but gas.
Bob
09-27-2006, 08:14 PM,
Hey Mark, I chose the 3rd. on your poll.
I agree with Bob. Although you probably bought new gas cans. (plastic I hope) I found another option. I was in Cub and in their cooking section (pots, pans, etc.) I found some large plastic cereal containers. I bought a large one and took it home. These are very sturdy with a screw on lid. In them, I can load enough litter for 2.5 fillings of my canister, So I bought another one. I carry enough sorb for 15 hours minimum of diving in 2 litle jugs. Works great. Just to be safe. I secured the tops with good old duct tape. ( I had an experience once with old sorb. trying to be cheap)

10-12-2006, 05:29 PM,
Hi Mark,  I"m with CHuck on 3... ;D

Actually there is a difference in plastics.  IE:  some plastic cannot hold gasoline, as it would melt right through it.

SO..  reasonably, I would think the best answer is,    CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER.  see what they say.  ALSO,  it may say it right on the manufactuers product label.

I would think that if the container was compatible and sealed really tight, that it would not allow C02 in.

maxfactor.
10-27-2006, 10:47 AM,
I know that Sofnolime MUST contain a certain pecentage of humidity to function properly and I also know that different materials permeate plastics. Some foods are sold in plastic containers the use layers of different plastics to create a impermeable plastic. My advise would be look at the recyling logo on the bottom of the sorb (if there is one) and match it.
Divin' since 1967