Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR Fundamentals class
10-05-2002, 05:12 PM,
DIR Fundamentals class
A couple of people have asked if and when there is going to be another DIRF class in Minneapolis. Getting another one is a matter of having enough people who want the class and then arranging an instructor. I arranged to get the last one here and I would be willing to make the arrangements for another one. The question is how many are interested in taking the class if it comes here? It will take at least 6 commited before setting up a date. Like last time this probably won't be sponsored by any stores.

The scenario from last time was start Friday night and then go through Sunday afternoon. The cost from last time was $275, which was a little on the low side. The final cost will depend on how many students and how many instructors there are.

For timing, early May was a bit on the chilly side for the last class, June would be a better choice. It will most likely depend on how booked the instructors are.

JoelW
01-30-2003, 08:04 PM,
Re:DIR Fundamentals class
There is a DIRF class scheduled locally in May. Anyone taking the class?

Derrick
01-30-2003, 09:25 PM,
I would be interested.
--Jason
01-30-2003, 11:00 PM,
Who is the instructor and who is the local contact person?
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
01-31-2003, 09:31 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-31-2003, 09:40 AM by Derrick.)
Last year the contact person was JoelW. I don't know who or which shop is setting it up locally. Sonya Title and Mike Kane will be instructing the class. If anyone is interested, the should send Sonya an email at sonya@fifthd.com. I think they will have more info next week. I took it last year and enjoyed it very much. If anyone is taking the class and not too experienced with BP/W & long hose, I would be happy to dive with before the class and work on the skills.

Derrick
01-31-2003, 06:55 PM,
I'm not the contact person this time. This was the first I heard of another class here.

JoelW
01-31-2003, 08:04 PM,
I'm interested. I just sent Sonya an email. Does one have to be a BP/Winger?

Shelly
01-31-2003, 08:55 PM,
Shelly makes a good point. If I don't current dive with a bp/wing should I wait to purchase one, spend a season in the water and then take the course? Or will the class teach me how to use it properly so I don't have to go back and fix bad habits?

--Jason
02-01-2003, 02:22 PM,
Here's the response I got from "Sonya" last night (Jan 31):

Hi Shelly,

Thank you for your inquiry. I will have all these details after Tuesday of next week. She's taking class with Mike and Andrew in Atlanta this weekend... so long story, short - they are acquiring all those details this wknd. ( :

I prematurely posted that class, and I apologize for not having the details, but they are coming... and of course it works out that this class has had more inquiries in the day and half since i posted it than any class I've ever listed. ( ;

I will try to drop you a note once I get them together next week,

Sonya
02-10-2003, 09:55 PM,
Hi guys. I hadn't heard from Sonya since the above email so I sent her another. Here's her 2/10/03 response:

Hi Shelly,

This is the coordinator of the course, please get in touch with her - her name is Claudia, and she can help you with all the details of the course. ( :

I will be out of town from the 12 - 27th this month, so it's best to get in contact with her directly at this point. I will be available again once I return from the Philippines.

Course fees are: $325.00 (this includes the course tuition of $225, course card fee from GUE $25, and instructor air/travel fee $75). In addition.... There may be other expenses (students also split the instructor costs like entrance fee's, cylinder rentals and hotel). It's usually a small amount and Claudia will be the one assisting us with getting these things arranged and getting the final costs out to everyone.

If you have any questions about the course pricing - just let me know. I'll be on email until the evening of the 11th.

Thanks!
Sonya