Remember me
Lost Password Register

Price of Helium Going Up
09-15-2006, 01:13 PM,
Price of Helium Going Up
I received a notice from my gas supplier that their helium price is going up about 20%.  Looks like there is a nation wide price hike due to higher fuel costs and reduction of helium output at some of the nations natural gas wells.  Anyone else noticed it?

We, in the USA, still enjoy relatively inexpensive helium though since it is somewhat plentiful here.  However, almost no largescale industrial users recycle it so after their use, it is gone forever.

This makes a CCR look even more cost effective.

__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
09-17-2006, 09:26 AM,
Re: Price of Helium Going Up
John,

A 20% hike in the price of Helium is a little to much!  I would entertain the idea of changing your gas supply Company. 

I've been buying various gases for my welding equipment for 25 or more years from the same place.  I haven't seen a huge hike in the price of Helium other than what you said about the fuel surge when I have it delivered which is almost never.  I usually drop off and pick up the gas myself when I am in the area or have a friend pick the cylinder or cylinders up for me.  The price has only jumped $4.00 per "T" cylinder and I just bought some last week.

The Company I buy Helium from said that out of the three Company's they buy from, only one has reported a shortage or if I can say, a deliberate slow down in production of Helium to raise prices.

Though prices on Helium have been climbing slowly I still like to save a little money on gas.  I purchase the Medical Grade Helium rather than the Ultra Pure Helium.  I have conducted a little research of my own and have discovered that the people that I buy from said the purity of both the Medical Grade and High purity are the same but the monitoring and paper work is handled differently.  Which I'm very sure you know already!  Plus, there is more Medical Grade Helium available than High Purity!  I am paying around $69.00 per "T" cylinder (337 Cu Ft).  I cannot reveal my source on this post for the reason that everyone would be buying it from them and suddenly a higher production demand may drive the price up from the Company they purchase it from. 

Some of the things I do to keep the price down and, fairly even is, I own all of my own cylinders, (four Helium and four O2 cylinders).  This in itself helps in keeping the price down.  Paying for a five year or monthly lease is not to price prohibitive.  I also stock pile Helium and Aviators O2 during the winter months to spread out the cost of the gas I use. 

Even though Helium is priced higher, Aviators O2 is still a bargain and is priced right.

The fact that you are using a rebreather for all of your diving, is just that much cheaper in the volume of gas you use.   How do you fill your smaller cylinders now?  I would presume you fill them yourself?  I think I remember you talking about having a booster on a previous post.

Take some time to check out a couple of gas suppliers.  You may be pleasantly surprised that the Helium is not in a state of demand and, higher priced as much as you thought.

Thank you for the Post.  Hope you find this helpful.

PJK
Safe Diving<br />PJK