Remember me
Lost Password Register

Wednesday Night Really Fun, Fun Dives
09-18-2006, 12:11 PM,
Wednesday Night Really Fun, Fun Dives
We will be out at Little Long on Wednesday Sept 20th at 5 p.m. for you western suburban divers. I will be out there until at least 7, so if you get home late, you can still get a dive in before dark this week.
See ya out there!
Lee
Going Under Dive Center
09-18-2006, 02:33 PM,
Re: Wednesday Night Really Fun, Fun Dives
Where is little long lake?  Anything fun there or just a lake to jump into???
09-18-2006, 03:14 PM,
Its a spring fed lake west of Minnetonka off Game Farm Rd. It has limits on engine size for boats so it can be dove without a flag almost. There is a dock and boat ramp on the NE corner of the lake, we should have it to ourselves.
Little Long is stocked with trout, but I have yet to see one, but curious bass and large northerns are plentiful along the weed line on the east shore. It is also deep for such a small lake with the bay closest to launch down to 55ft and I believe the hole on the otherside may be 70-75ft.
Visibility is not great, but better than most local lakes. There is a swim platform, but I have not found the marker buoy yet this year. I have a good idea of where it is.
Lee
09-19-2006, 05:25 AM,
It was great running into you guys last night and thanks for the map and the invitation! I will see if I can leave work early tomorrow night and thanks to you guys, this will dictate if I wear a dress to work on Wednesday or not!
        will you guys be wearing a dress to work on Wednesday?!  Smile

....and to think we only assumed it was wetdrm that look good in pink.

Cheers~
09-19-2006, 01:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2006, 05:38 PM by LKunze.)
well lass I just might wear a "dress" to work on Wednesday. It depends on if I need to climb up onto any roofs or not. :Smile

by the way my pink drysuit should be back by Friday  ;D
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-21-2006, 10:41 AM,
Curious to hear a dive report? I have dove Little Long each year for the past few years with the exception of this year. It has always been eerie and spooky dark, viz maybe 8' at best and usually a big Musky swimming along in front just close enough so you can see his back half Smile
09-24-2006, 09:21 PM,
Vis was less than 5 feet, it was the worse I have seen it. It is great in the spring, but on Wednesday, you could see the thermocline, because below it was zero vis. We stuck to the weed line and saw lots of fish and found an ice fishing ladle. I never have regrets about getting in a dive, so I had fun. Not sure if any pics will turn out though. Makes me appreciate the vis in Crosby.
Really looking forward to Crosby this weekend though. We'll be at Louise Friday afternoon 09/29, can't wait. Probably set up camp and dive some different pits, will be in Louise Sat and Sun to do a deep and a peak bouyancy clinic.
Lee

Attached Files
.jpg   night dive louise2small.jpg (Size: 13.17 KB / Downloads: 134)
.jpg_thumb   night dive louise2small.jpg_thumb (Size: 25 KB / Downloads: 0)
09-25-2006, 08:45 AM,
Thanks for the update Lee!

Little Long would probably make for a great Halloween dive, spooky, dark and some big creatures lurking about Smile

Its really too bad, its a nice size lake, has some depth and the public access is rarely busy so quite easy to stage a simple 7mm wetsuit dive or do the drysuit thing. Next time I'll have to try it during spring, right after ice-out.

09-25-2006, 05:36 PM,
If you stand on the boat dock and look to the left toward the little A frame on the far side of the lake, in a straight line it gets down to almost 50 feet. there are a lot of large trees down there  also.
If you were to go south and around the sand beach and then head a little east the bottom mixture turns more to sand and you can get down to 70 feet
grumpie........