Remember me
Lost Password Register

3 weeks in the Philippines
09-21-2006, 11:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:27 AM by LKunze.)
3 weeks in the Philippines
I'm a new diver and have decided to take my vacation to the Philippines. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations. I am thinking of Palawan.

Kirk
09-21-2006, 01:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:27 AM by LKunze.)
Re: 3 weeks in the Philippines
I recommend you bring your own dive master. when do we leave? 8)
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-21-2006, 06:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:27 AM by LKunze.)
Yes, I would agree, you definitely Need your own DM. However mnlakediver at this time is only a DM candidate. So to quote him, "when do we leave".

I will email claystaineddiver, for you he was there last year. I'll have him jump on the board for you, Or just send him a PM.
CJ
09-21-2006, 06:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
Att: Wanabe DM's  Feburary is the month
09-21-2006, 06:44 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
No you need to take someone who's been there. Dive masters are cheap to hire over there. But an American who's been is a real asset. Who's going to speak teh local language for you? Who's been through the hoards at the ferry stations and know's how to get you through? I can! I know the magic words?

When I looked to go to the Philippines, I searched out the local forums to see where the locals go. I found there are places you can go and get the Kano price, and places where you can go to get the filipino price. Also they know the best places. What I found was some of the best diving I've ever found. The currents can be strong, at least they were when I was there. But the diversity was fantastic and prices were dirt cheap. Its in Sabang on the island of Mindoro. A small town which caters to the divers and not that far from Manila, where I'll assume you're flying in. You might want to run some searchs on Sabang and Puerto Galera, which is the large town near it. But the diving is located off Sabang. Literally with in minutes by dive boat. I think the longest boat ride I had was 10 minutes and that might be stretching it.

Buy a bundle of dives and you can get them with air for about $16. Room with airconditioning as little as $16 per day. And the food is fantastic. Go out and you can eat like a king for $5. You can hit higher buck places there if you want to. There's an Aussi with a restrurant with imported beef. Not as good as home here, but not bad either. But you're pushing $15 for dinner then. Personally I often picked up live crabs and had them cooked at the hotel I stayed at. They threw in the rice and melted butter when they cooked it up for me. But you need to ask for melted butter. They really don't understand the concept as there don't eat much dairy there at all.

Drop a pm if you want to know a bit more about that area.

Cary
Cary
09-21-2006, 08:57 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
Thanks to  claystaineddiver for the help.
09-22-2006, 01:08 AM,
Re: 3 weeks in the Philippiens
What about me??? I got him to respond. Even though he know's how much a kano DM costs!!!
09-22-2006, 08:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
vsnofjohana  As much as I would like you to take me,  I would suggest that you take  CLAYSTAINDIVER..

Not only has he traveled and dive all around the world,  he is a great guy.  When he speaks of his dive trips, he speaks with passion. 

He knows the scene.  He is a great diver, and you will enjoy his layed back professional style.  Plus he's a great guy. 

BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT YOU BRING  WTDRM>  MAXFACTOR> AND CLAYSTAINDIVER

WTDRM...  although Jimbo is a "dive master candidate"  he will be within weeks,  a CERTIFIDED DIVE MASTER FOR BOTH  PADI and SDI.  Dual certifications.... 2 professional rankings.    thats cool.

I will be in Florida next week on business and I am diving in the KEY's next week for at least 2 days.  I'll let you know how much visibility and how many different cool things I do.

Maxfactor

09-22-2006, 10:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
I'm glad Cary was able to reply and he should be able to give you great advise on diving the Philippines.

hey Maxactor if you keep it up Claystained will need a bigger drysuit as you may get stuck where your kissing  >Big Grin
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-22-2006, 08:35 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-23-2006, 05:28 AM by LKunze.)
mnlakediver... I forgot to mention you too.  YOUR INVITED...    Get on board the train..... the sole train to the philophines.
KC AND THE SUNSHINE DIVER BAND..

maxfactor