Remember me
Lost Password Register

Damn Yankee Spearfishing tour
11-10-2007, 08:49 AM,
Re: Damn Yankee Spearfishing tour
I booked my airfare  8)  I booked the flights listed earlier..

Northwest Airlines 436
Thu, May 22
Flight time  3hr 11min
10:15am Depart Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)
2:26pm Arrive Tampa (TPA)

Northwest Airlines 435
Tue, May 27
Flight time 3hr 19min
1:50pm Depart Tampa (TPA)
4:09pm Arrive Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP)

Price went up by $10.  Tongue

I paid $302

Brian (buddy of mine at work....dove with Arcflash and I this spring) will be booking his flight later today.

OK Chris....Now we'll REEEEEEALY need ta get together fer coffee, cause we're GOIN!!!

Lets see ......  Hmmmm ... Need ta make a list ... Maybe need a list of the lists I'll need ta make  (Yea I'm one of them)

Learn fish ID (Don't want to accidently shoot Steven thinking he's a big snapper)

Learn how to use one of Nate's spearguns (probably don't want to bring one of my 30+ year old antiques along)

Rereread the post about spearfishing for newbies... I really liked the part about Don't feed the sharks your fish, poke them in the nose instead.. :Smile

Find information related about how not to be eaten by sharks...

Obtain new Nitrox dive computer and read the F%#$@^ manual

Pack clothes.... Swimsuit (maybe two), Dive skin, 3/2 fullsuit, couple sets of street clothes.

Figure out how to best transport 40+ pounds of fish fillets back home  (This isn't like counting chickens before they've hatched...)  I better stock up on things around the house that I'll be needing when I get back like... Shore Lunch, peanut oil, tartar sauce  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

OK NOW I'm getting excited  >Big Grin

11-12-2007, 12:36 PM,

Fish identification definitely very important.

Spear guns haven't changed  That much over the years, same basic principle.  Point at the fish and pull the trigger.

You don't have to swim faster than a shark.  You just have to swim faster than your Buddy ;D.

A multi-gas Nitrox computer is helpful.  Sometimes we o2 scrub on the way up.

I usually bring only one set of street clothes ???

I'm getting fired up now too.  I'll have to agree with Steve, hardest part is going to be waiting until May ;D
11-12-2007, 03:45 PM,
Note to self: Bring blaze orange vest so Art don't shoot me. Smile

With 5 or 6 dives a day on EAN and O's how close do you come to the daily limits?
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-13-2007, 01:44 PM,

With this type of diving.  It's hard to "plan your dive and dive your plan". Sometimes the fish are there,  Sometimes they're not.  Sometimes they are on the bottom, sometimes they're suspended.  Sometimes you eat the bear, Sometimes the bear eats you.  :Smile or I guess I should say shark in this instance ;D

I just monitor my computer and stay out of deco. Find fish, shoot fish, string fish, reload, repeat.  Always keep one eye open for the tax man >Big Grin when we are spearfishing,  We subscribe to "posse comitatus" we don't pay the man in the gray suit taxes unless it's 60 inches of cold steel >Big Grin

That's funny, I just finished my audit with the IRS.
11-26-2007, 08:18 AM,
We should get together soon and have a meeting about the trip and pay deposits etc. I can potentially be in the Smith diving area,  This Monday Tuesday or Wednesday.  or next Monday or Tuesday.

Still waiting on confirmation from Chris, otherwise I believe we have four confirmed with airfare booked.
11-27-2007, 08:46 PM,
Lets look at next Monday or Tuesday.  Early evening would be best on my end,  ;D
11-28-2007, 07:54 AM,
Tuesday works good for me.
11-28-2007, 11:38 AM,
I'll make that work.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
11-28-2007, 05:29 PM,
Tuesday then.  How bout 6:00 PM???
11-29-2007, 02:25 PM,

Works for me....  where?