Remember me
Lost Password Register

Free diving Accident
10-15-2002, 08:19 PM,
Free diving Accident
Does anyone have any info on the woman that died while attempting a world record?
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
10-15-2002, 08:59 PM,
Re:Free diving Accident
Answered my own question. For those that are curious-

Kind of sad but they did give her the record.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
10-18-2002, 08:33 AM,
Tom,
This death has really stirred up the freediving community. Whether competitive, recreational, professional or amateur. It'll be the discussion for a long, long time over at deeperblue. Several of my internet acquaintances new Audrey pretty well.

Here's something that is stirring it up even more.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
10-18-2002, 09:13 AM,
We've been getting press releases that have made account of the safety diver being present with Audry when the accident occurred. That the lift bag for ascent use for Audry failed and an attempt to manually inflate the lift device was attempted by the safety diver freeflowing his second stage into the bag. The accident occurred at a deep depth. Audry was unconscious/or unbreathing for 9 min. underwater.

But all of this is unofficial and whatever you read isn't always the truth. Deeperblue and others have inquiries but stirring the pot is a little premature as investigations like this take time, especially with an incidence of fatality.

I'm sure most precautions were taken into account to avoid this, as the sport has grown tremendously, and positive results and people's safety are/should always be top priority. Even IMAX films are being made on freediving and the record attempts. We've come a long way from the days of the local spearfishers and black and white photos in Skin Diver.

All accounts will be made I'm sure, and the community will learn a lot by this. It should be interesting to hear the entire event with truthful accuracy once it is released.

It's too bad that before the attempt we were talking about the endeavor, and the risks involved, and now we're talking about a trajedy instead of a tremendous success. With sympathy, we wish the best for her family and friends.
02-05-2003, 04:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-05-2003, 04:13 PM by freedivernd.)
Here is a link to an official IAFD (Intl. Assoc. of Free Diving) report just out on the Audrey Mestre accident. As you recall she died recently attempting to do a "no limits" freedive to about 560'.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-13-2003, 12:54 PM,
Interesting that they released the info. I had read in an article earlier that the family had requested no details of the accident be made public on it.