Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tech computers
10-17-2006, 08:13 AM,
Tech computers
I'll be taking deco procedures soon and want to start thinking about what computer I may want.

I hope this doesn't start any arguments. I'm just looking for advice from those that do open circuit staged deco dives and what they like and don't like in computers or depth/timers.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
10-17-2006, 10:24 AM,
Re: Tech computers
Try the dive right mixed gas computer, it does up to 7 different gasses and its relatively inexpensive compared to an "exploder" or a VR2 or VR3.  I'll send the link a little later today.
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM,
10-17-2006, 10:46 AM,
Wow that's some computer.
10-17-2006, 11:11 AM,
The NiTek is a good computer, and would work well.  I know lots of people who dive with just two depth and bottom timers and tables.  I have done dives this way too, and it works great, provided you do a traditional square dive profile. (which you want to do everytime you dive Deco)

I personally use an HS Explorer, but have used the Nitek, and VR3.  I much perfer the Explorer and next the VR3. 

Just make sure you always have a backup plan for deco, like tables and depth/bottom timer.  Because someday your computer will tell you that you have no deco, but you know that you do, and knowing when deco begins can save your life.  Keep those tables close. 
Go Big, or go home!
10-17-2006, 02:30 PM,
I wear a Sunnto Stinger one one wrist, set to guage mode, and a D-3 on my other with my tables in my pocket.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM,
Are there printed slates available or do you mean you write down the next greater stops on slates and have that in your pocket for light review at the first stop?
10-17-2006, 04:02 PM,
I use an OMS bottom timer and tables for my primary set up.  I also have a dive computer in gage mode that I use as my backup that is either on my other wrist or in a pocket.

If you go with using tables you may want to invest in some dive planning software such as V-Planner.  You can put in your profile(s) and what deco mixes you are using and have it print out the dive profiles.

10-17-2006, 04:06 PM,
I'll "cheat" ad use a wrist slate and keep my back up tables in my pocket. My back up tables will have a copy of what's on my wrist plus back-ups if I loose one, or more, deco bottles. They also include tables for extra bottom in 5 minute steps- in case I get stuck on the bottom.

I had a buddy diving tables while the rest of his group were diving the diverite He computers and he cleared deco 7 minutes faster than they did on 200' dives so he decided to stick with tables after that.

I, personally, have had so many computers quit on me over the years that I just don't trust them- I barely trust my bottom timers.  Wink  I also don't understand why they can't quit on you in the first couple of minutes on your dive- not when you've already racked up a good 45+ minutes of deco. >Sad

Other divers have had more luck with their computers and feel comfortable diving them. I just have  had a rash of bad luck with a few different computers so decided to just stick with tables since I carried them for back-up anyway.

YMMV

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
10-17-2006, 07:37 PM,
Another vote for the Explorer I love the profile.

Bob