Remember me
Lost Password Register

Scuba Pro Regs
10-28-2006, 03:24 PM,
Scuba Pro Regs
Does anyone have an opion on these? 

Went for a morning dive in Lake Superior this AM.  My dive buddy had just had his Scuba Pro Regs serviced, after a mild freeflow a couple of weeks ago in 90'...not fun!

We were just settling into 41 degree water, about 4 minutes into the dive, beautiful viz (40-50'), and I got a tug on my fin.  His reg was freeflowing.  I'm not sure which model it is, but it is one for cold water diving.  He's frusterated.  He only has 20 or so dives on it.  We don't know what to make of it.
10-28-2006, 08:08 PM,
Re: Scuba Pro Regs
Do you know if the regulator is an environmentally sealed unit.  I have an Aqualung Titan LX and the first stage is actually marked ">10C" or 40F.  I added the environmental kit which seals the main diaphram and allows use below that temperature
10-28-2006, 09:35 PM,
In my 12 years of diving, in Lake Superior I have seen many Scubapro regs freeflow in cold conditions.  As an equipment technician, I have seen several designs and reg adjustments to improve cold water usability.  Without info on the model of 1st and 2nd he was using, it's hard to comment w/o it sounding like Scubapro bashing.  If you look through the catalog, their 2nd stages lack heat exchangers common to regs from other brands like Aqualung and Apeks.  Scubapro prefers to insulate the parts in the 1st stage from the temperature as air drops pressure to the Intermediate Pressure to prevent it from freezing water in the evironmental side.  They don't do much to the 2nd stage to keep it from freezing.  While they make easy breathing regs, there isn't much done to keep the internal parts of the 2nd warm enough to function properly in cold conditions.
10-28-2006, 10:32 PM,
I have had free-flow problems with my ScubaPro Regs since new. They have always had some sort of free-flow at one time or another when diving Superior. I would suggest going to Zeagle.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201
10-29-2006, 08:09 AM,
I have a ScubaPro on one post of my doubles and Apeks the other. Many deep dives in Lake Superior, never a problem with either. ScubaPro is on the long hose and the one I breather off of.
                                                      Al
10-29-2006, 09:01 AM,
I have a Sherwood Maximus and Genesis 2000 never had a few flow, knock on wood, What is the moisture content of your air just got back my Trace test, and freeze up is 91 below, real dry air. Remember as air passes into the 2nd stage (do to the venturie effect) it drops about 20 degree so in 40 degree water the temp affecting the moisture is about 20 degrees. Cressi Sub regs actually reverse the venturie effect.
10-29-2006, 05:02 PM,
Zeagle's are a good choice.  I am currently using Zeagle ZX/DS-V's and really like them.  I used Apeks for a number of years as well and had excellent results.  No freeflows ever with Apeks or Zeagle in water down to 36F.
10-30-2006, 03:37 PM,
I have dove Scubapro for about 15 years, so obviously I may have a bias.  I have a bunch of them and really appreciate their performance.  I have dove almost every reg they have sold in the last 15 years and have only had one problem requiring equipment correction.  I had a MK20 that I lost confidence in due to a freak failure.  It was serviced, tested and Scubapro provided details on the successful testing. When I told them I just did not trust the reg anymore, Scubapro (not my LDS) gave me a new MK25.  I am also a public safety diver.  Many of the PSD teams I am aware of in the area use Scubapro regs.  We dive in the worst crap possible and the regs just keep working.....   

I have not had the problem you encountered.  I have had one free flow after leaving my wet reg out between ice dives on darn cold day.  It actually froze to the ice and I had to chip it out to do the dive.  Yes, stupid.... it was own darn fault.  I don't have the cold water kits installed in my regs and ice dive with them all winter long.   Since I have not have a freeze, I have not the kits worthy of any extra $$$.  It could be needed for some regs, but to me it seems to be some extra hype for no real reason. Kind of like titanium wet suits claiming to reflect cold.......

I have friends that have had free flow problems with Scubapro as well as other brands.  Here is what I can offer directly related to your question...

Regs from any mfg. are metal machines produced in quantity.  It could just be off by a nat's hair somewhere causing the problem.  Since it only has 20 dives on it start with your LDS.  They should be stand up folks and test and service the reg for your buddy.  If he has any other problems, they should replace it.  I simply would demand nothing less.  If they can't stand behind what they sell don't ever spend another dime there.

Have his tank VIP'ed.  Like the other poster said, you need dry air.  If he has water or moist air in his tank (for whatever reason) that could explain his problems.  One buddy had a few free flows ice diving.  He had his reg serviced several times, still had free flow problems.  He got his tanks VIP'ed and then switched where he got air fills and presto... no more free flows. 

It could be your buddies dive style in relation to the gear.  It would be a good idea to discuss the reg problems with an advanced instructor at your LDS who knows that line of regs.  Perhaps he has the reg set with too Little work of breathing, is not caring for it correctly, is anxious and breathing really, really fast...  a cup of coffee and a conversation could fix the problem.

I would also encourage your buddy to take suggestions regarding switching reg brands to fix a problem with a grain of salt.  If there was a legitimate problem with one brand of gear, we would not have so many shops in the area selling that brand - they could not stay in business! (We have six Scubapro shops in the area). Divers get passonate about their gear.  The should, it keeps them alive.  What works for one person, may not work for your buddy.  Spending more money is most likely not the answer - particularly if the problem is not directly related to the reg.
10-30-2006, 05:18 PM,
The only Scubapro Regulator I  have had good luck with in Lake Superior is the MK17/X650.  We sell Scubapro Regulators and this is the only one in there line that I would reccomend for cold water diving.  I have had it in 41 degree water down to  100 feet with no problems at all.  I have also had it in shallower water that was 30 degrees without any problems.  I do know a lot of people that have had issues with MK20 or MK25's with the S600 2nd stage.  It's a great breathing regulator but, I would not reccomend it for Cold Water.  Other Regulators that we sell that do well in cold water are the Apeks,  Or the Aqua-lung Legend LX, Legend, Titan LX Supreme, or the brand new Legend Glacia.  When we sell regulators to our divers we always try to ask where they will be diving with it before make a recommendation.  Some people however come in wanting a specific Regulator and can be diswayed from that choice.  I  have been selling and servicing regulators for over 25 years and this is just my opion.  Everyone you ask could have a different perspective depending on what they are use to using.
10-30-2006, 05:19 PM,
The shawlower water should have read 39 degrees.  I missed that when I proofed what I had written.