Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dive instructors
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM,
Dive instructors
I want to take my PADI AOW this summer. Does anyone  have any suggestions, or point me in the right direction
as far as a dedicated dive instructor?
01-03-2008, 10:03 PM,
Re: Dive instructors
Where did you take your basic Open Water?  What was that experience like?

How far do you want to travel for the classes?  Or is driving there even an issue?

Check out the "DiveShops" pull-down menu button at the opening screen instead of clicking on "Forum"  Look through the list of shops in the area.  Which ones are PADI?  Call and ask questions, or better yet, make the list of questions and drive around to meet with staff at the shops you are interested in....

Is there a particular style of diving you are interested in moving into?  Wreck diving, Tech, Deco, Cave/ Cavern, Underwater Photography, Search and Recovery of missing objects, Rescue/ Public Safety Dive Team?  Ask the shop if their instructors have particular interests that match yours....Kind of like finding the wetsuit for you, find the diveshop that fits you best. 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
01-04-2008, 07:07 AM,
Congratulations  ;D
You've already made some excellent decisions.....  Deciding to continue and advance your training is VERY GOOD!  There are many important pieces you will learn in your advanced class no matter who you select as your instructor.  Finding out what others in the dive community think and considering the options rather than just picking at random or out of convenience is also very good. 

Diver Queen spelled out most of the considerations quite well.  Another couple things for you to consider would be... are you interested in going to and finding out more about the diving opportunities in Minnesota or is your primary interest diving while on vacation.  Another consideration is your equipment.  Most classes at the advanced level require you to supply or rent your own equipment.

01-04-2008, 11:30 AM,
I'll back DQ. Shop for someone that dives the way you want too. Get someone with as much experience as you can find. I'm sure there are plenty of good instructors but I like the commentary from the instructor with lots of experiences to share.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-04-2008, 02:13 PM,
Excellent Advice from the previous posts...my only addition....

DO NOT go the the instructor that tells you he/she is the BEST......

go the the instructor that many others tell you he/she is the BEST

Wink
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-04-2008, 03:12 PM,
I'm a dive instructor, I have always had good instructors from brian at usa,terry at smith, dick rutkowski at iantd. I can say that I have never had a bad one. you can always learn from them. the important thing is to always go with a open mind and take out the things you want and need.
grumpie.......
01-04-2008, 03:58 PM,
I've had a new instructor and well, I got a card out of it. Sad I didn't know it at the time but it's obvious later.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
01-04-2008, 04:24 PM,
Some one already said it, sometimes it depends on what the instructors interests are. if your interested in under water pictures or fish ID, when you go to the dive shop ask the manager for some one who likes that kind of stuff. If your interests are search and recovery or search and salvage ask me, you would very likely not be interested in the places we would go. it all depends on your interests. every shop has their spec. classes
grumpie....
01-04-2008, 09:10 PM,

Hence the name GRUMPIE!!! ;D
Oops Did I really say that?????
01-24-2008, 09:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-24-2008, 09:10 PM by mcdiver.)
You will soon learn that not all dive instructor's are of equal ability. They may all carry the little card in their wallet, but they are not all created equal.

Many dive Instructor's are just that, they are Instructor's, but do they really dive? Are all their dives a result of doing just classes? By that I mean, is there experience just in doing instructing in ideal conditions? I have met Instructor's who claim to have 500 dives, yet the vast majority of them have been in a classroom environment. I have met divers with only an Open Water Cert who I felt more comfortable with than an Instructor.

Just because an Instructor says he has certified 200 students does not necessarily make him a better diver, all it means is that he has certified 200 students. Now think about this, when instructing, you are usually in ideal conditions, how will this Instructor react when all hell breaks loose underwater for your deep dive? When you have a silt-out and you can't see your hand in front of your face? When a mask strap breaks at 60', will he beat you to the surface? What about a free-flow?

I do a lot of deep solo diving, mainly as a way of testing my abilities and to keep my skills at their peak. I run through various "what if's" when I dive. I have had my mask kicked-off my head while doing deep dives with buddies and I have had a mask strap break at 160' while on a solo dive. Not knowing ahead of time what you would do is not a good way to dive, I don't care if you are only in 30' of water.

So be careful how you choose your Instructor, you are paying for an education, not just a certification card.
Dave Torry
Alexandria, MN
612-799-3201