Remember me
Lost Password Register

shady oak lake
11-06-2006, 09:04 PM,
shady oak lake
i was wondering about shady oak lake in mtka mn/ I hear there is a train down there is anyone has any info on the lake let me know
jcdtowguy@yahoo.com
been there wrecked that=P
11-07-2006, 08:11 AM,
Re: shady oak lake
I've been swimming in the lake once or twice, but never diving in it.  I think the only public access to the lake is on the southeast corner at the swimming beach.    There's a diving platform just north of the swimming beach where the water gets fairly deep.  If you're looking for a submerged train, you'll probably have to swim all the way across the lake until you get to the northern shore.  Railroads don't like to let their trains derail near public access points, unfortunately.

, and .  This is Oh, and . 

I have no idea about water quality or visibility, but since there's a swimming beach there, it can't be too bad. 
11-07-2006, 08:45 AM,
towdiver,

I've dove shady many times with my kids as a post "swim season salvage dive".  You go into the parking lot, suit up a the car and walk down near the footbridge and enter (the swim beach as it fenced off so you kind of have to go around it.  There's a ton of weeds and it's shallow but head over to the permanent diving board platform and it's about 18 to 20 feet deep.  My reference to salvage is money (careful with bills as they desintegrate easily), watches, hair clips, keys and anything else that falls out of kids swim trunks while going off the diving boards all summer.  Take a little goody bag.  The treasures stink bad after recovery but a little washing and away you go.  One time I actually found swim suit bottoms, go figure that one out ?  There is a lot of goose turds but for a "local" dive, it's super close and half way fun.  You must live close by the lake ?  Don't know a thiing about a train but have heard rumors.  the rest of the lake is pretty shallow however.
11-07-2006, 05:17 PM,
thank you for the info on the lake i will have to try that
been there wrecked that=P
11-07-2006, 10:13 PM,
I have dove it a few times too.  Nothing too special.  I went in the summer and the lifeguards would not let me dive the main lake.  I went in the lagoon that connects and found some loot under the dock.  It is in the city of Hopkins but managed by Minnetonka for some reason.  Private access all around except for the Beach parking lot.  No on street parking.  This is probably prime time to dive it because the "powers that be" make it pretty tough when they are there.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
11-08-2006, 09:00 AM,
Too bad a permit is required!  $48 for non-residents!  Yeah, right...  :Smile

"SHADY OAK BEACH
    5200 Shady Oak Road
    Minnetonka, MN 55343
    Assistant Facilities Manager: Jennifer Garvey

LIBBS LAKE BEACH
    16515 Park Lane
    Minnetonka, MN 55345

Shady Oak Beach & Libbs Lake Beach Season Passes
Season passes used at Shady Oak Beach and Libbs Lake Beach are on sale now! Passes must be purchased directly from the recreation department’s office Monday–Friday 8:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m. You can purchase a pass simply by calling 952.939.8203, or visit Recreation Services at Minnetonka City Hall—14600 Minnetonka Boulevard. Pay by phone with a credit card using Visa or MasterCard. Sorry, season passes are not sold at the beach.

Household
Hopkins & Minnetonka Resident: $27
[glow=red,2,300]Non-Resident: $48[/glow]
This pass includes unlimited swimming for household family members. A household is defined as up to two adults, and youth age 18 and under who reside at the same address year round."

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
11-27-2006, 11:04 AM,
I dive there every spring and fall doing the same clean up dive, find lots of good junk and yes it does stink until washed off :-X

About every time I've suited up I've heard about the train from someone and they point every different direction as to where it was reported to them, but the best info I have is it is submerged in the muck so you would have to dig it out.

I did one search this summer with a boat towed pulse detector but did not get any hits, except for where the 50 gallon drums are by the bridge.  I may try again next year if I can borrow it again.
11-10-2007, 08:55 PM,
dove shady oak lake today, first time there, and the water was about 15' vis temp was about 40F? (in a wetsuit too)

went to the diving platform thing and found about 5 masks, a snorkel, and a red torpedo

didnt see any fish, but about 3 people were fishing on the lake, it was a fun lake to dive in, better than calhoun imo but not as deep

also lost my red led flasher by west of the beach
"The lake is running low on leeches. Dump a few more barrels in."
-John Calhoun