River Diving
:Smile
11-08-2006, 07:15 PM,
Re: River Diving
???
11-08-2006, 09:03 PM,
Good Evening.
Right now is a good time to go river diving, The current is very slow and the boating and the barge traffic is very slow. I guess it would be  a good time to try tether diving. you would need safety harness and 200 ft of rope per diver. Its to bad that the city of st paul will not allow diving at hidden falls any more because the bottom there has many different types of terrain from hard sand to lots of concrete rip rap. I still use it for SO training.  We can do circle sweeps to sea wall to jack stay. 
grumpie........
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM,
I'll be going out tonight to recover some expensive fishing equipment that fell overboard.  The area is a lake off from the main channel and backchannel down by Red Wing.

Should be no current however there are underground springs.  How much current do springs of this type produce?  Any ideas?  This lake is comprised mainly of shallow water to 5' deep.  It has a hole which drops to about 40'.

The fishing equipment fell off right over the edge of the drop off and I'm guessing has slid down into deeped water.  It is murky and dark as soon as you go under.

Any ideas on lighting?

Pete
Pete Mayer
06-11-2007, 09:13 PM,
Good Evening, A lot of time the hole is caused by the spring and the water flowing out of it. its not real fast. You should watch out for junk in that hole.
stuff will settle out of the current and in to the hole. lots of luck and be careful.
let me know how you do.
grumpie......
06-11-2007, 09:51 PM,
Youre diving a river hole????........i assume you are not diving alone and you will have a support staff.....good luck  be safe.....there is bound to be alot of crap there.......if you find Blackbeards treasure or Jimmy Hoffa..let me know....
Oops Did I really say that?????
06-11-2007, 10:17 PM,
Pete,   Can you spell GANDER.   Like others have said,  let us know how you did.  I hope it all goes well.  BUT......   merky water, and unfamiliar surroundings with no dive buddy??? 

Of course we all wish you the best of luck.   My only recommendation is if its there,  get in and out asap.   water seems to be running slow on the rivers right now, most likely due to the lack of rain.  So this could actually help you in your lake hole off the river.

try not to settle down on the bottom, or even touch it for support.....because that crap, can and will suck you in.
BEST OF LUCK..  and    it will add to the glory stories of the fishing pole that almost got away. 

catch a big one.
Maxfactor.
06-12-2007, 08:15 AM,
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your concern.  It went well and I was back in the boat within two minutes and got to go fishing.  I found it with my hand (which I could not see right in front of my face).

The word GANDER means a lot to me.  It means that's where all my money goes so I didn't want to spend more.

Hoffa wasn't there and if Blackbeard's Treasure was there, I would have had to bump it with my face in order to see it.

Are any of you aware of Goose lake near Red Wing?  It's a good fishing spot and I hate to imagine what's all down there after all these years.  It is not on my top ten list to dive however.

Thanks

Pete Mayer
Pete Mayer