Remember me
Lost Password Register

Russian Rebreathers
11-13-2006, 08:52 AM,
Russian Rebreathers
Does anyone know anything about the Russian Rebreathers that are always for sale on eBay?  I'd especialy would like to hear from anyone that has dove one or know someone that has!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
11-13-2006, 09:52 AM,
Re: Russian Rebreathers
I think they all died :o................ ;D
Oops Did I really say that?????
11-13-2006, 10:58 AM,
Here's a start:
11-13-2006, 02:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 11-13-2006, 02:18 PM by Mark Y.)
Hmm... the link didn't work for me... but I have been to Diver Dave's site.  I think it needs to be updated, though.

I did find another side, or rather, refound it:

I would really like to hear from someone who has dove one!

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
11-13-2006, 02:38 PM,
11-13-2006, 08:03 PM,
Mark Y
In the summer of 2005, I was the crewmember onboard the RLT Diver. It was a Tech trip and two of the passengers showed with modified IDA 71s.
They were built as Russian Special Forces oxygen rebreathers. That would put the mod at 30 ft.
The units I saw were modified with a Florida built "KISS" valve.
There were several malfunctions during the trip. The people that brought them were only comfortable diving them to recreational limits.
That means they would dive them 130 ft deeper than I would. I had several chances to take a close first hand look at them and was not impressed.
Bob
11-14-2006, 09:40 AM,
What did they use for cylinders?  Scrubber?

I hope they carried bailout!  >Big Grin

12-24-2006, 11:15 AM,
Hey Mark, after reading you post and seeing a few Russian breathers on E-bay I became interested and read through the breakdowns on the rebreather sites. I saw Eric Coopers Kiss Modified IDA-73 go through e-bay with a buy it now for 1700.  I wanted to buy it but hadn't done enough research and would have like to get it closer to 1300.  I contacted him after the auction trying to but it but  a friend of his wanted it.  Near as I can tell the 71 is worthless to us as it is an oxygen breather that flushes the loop after 40 ft and the relies on the special o2 producing scrubber media after that.  The 72 and the 73 are believed to be identical and very impressive design. A semi-closed surface supplied unit designed to dive to nearly 2,000ft!  The tiny inboard bottles were only for bailout. But the 10 hour scrubber sounds excellent and the incorporated OX bailout feature is impressive.  It doesn't look like it would have had any water trapping abilities though.

I would have bought it for the right price.  I probably wouldn't build one because I'd spend as much to convert on over as I could get a decent used Cr for.  Also the IDA-72s on Eba all call for wire transfer and can't be trusted.  I don't know where else to get one from. I contacted Dave Sutton and he said he didn't have anymore.

Anyway I plan to acquire a re breather by spring.  I've had enough of my doubles in Isle Royal.  I don't know which one yet.  It depends on the price.  So if anybody wants to get rid of a breather cheap, contact me.
01-14-2007, 01:07 PM,
You should get a KISS  :-*

That's how I roll  8)
Don't believe the hype!
01-15-2007, 10:12 PM,
KISS my  :-* I've got something a bit more exotic up my sleeve. Much cheaper and more exciting. Stay Tuned Kids  >Big Grin