Remember me
Lost Password Register

Probably a dumb question
11-21-2006, 02:57 PM,
Probably a dumb question
I need 2 OW dives to complete my certification for PADI, living in MN greatly limits my opportunities to complete these dive.  My question....is there any way to complete these in Mn this year or do I need to go to a warmer climate?
thanks
11-21-2006, 03:46 PM,
Re: Probably a dumb question
I think most dive shops have ended their local open water check out dives for the year.  If you call around to though you may find a shop instructor willing to take you out yet to do the check out dives although I imagine the lakes will be freezing up real soon around here.
11-21-2006, 08:08 PM,
A buddy of mine took Scuba for college credit in Duluth and they did their check-off dives around this time of year.  If you check with the shops up there, you may find a class.  However, you may not come from the class with as much as you would in the normal class season.  It will probably be a miserable introduction to MN. diving.  As Dr. Evil said once, "It's frickin Freezing Mr. Bigglesworth".
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
11-21-2006, 09:45 PM,
If nothing else, this is the perfect excuse to get south for a long weekend! 

"But honey, I HAVE to go in order to finish my training."
11-21-2006, 10:18 PM,
The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.  By asking questions, you glean the info from dozens of informed minds, and a few other scuba genius's!

With a 7mm wetsuit, shortie under it and a thermos of hot water to pour inside to prewarm yourself, you should have no trouble....Think warm thoughts!  Thermos of hot chocolate afterwards!!  That sounds even better!

My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
11-21-2006, 10:57 PM,
OR ...
You could come down and visit the ol' Jean down here where the water is 72 degrees all year round!  Wink
HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL btw from Cave Country !!!

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
11-22-2006, 11:19 AM,
I like to set up a 4x8 fish house on shore with a heater to change in after dive. 
11-22-2006, 02:27 PM,
Not a dumb question-

Call Keith at Wazee Sports Center in Black River Falls, WI.  Wazee is still open and he may do it for you.  It's also probably warmer than most of the lakes around here, although it won't really be warm per se.

Otherwise try Scuba Dive and Travel.  They might be able to work something out.

__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
11-23-2006, 02:49 PM,
One of my coworkers thought I was nuts for doing my open water dives the weekend of September 30-October 1 in Square Lake.  He told me that when he did his dives in similar temperatures, he and everyone else in the class was miserable and freezing.  He's never gone diving in Minnesota again.  As it turned out, I've done about 11 more dives in Minnesota (and Wisconsin) since I got my certification, so now he thinks I'm really nuts.

I don't mean to scare you off or anything.  Actually, if you really do your open water dives between now and when the ice freezes, let me know and I'll tell my coworker that there's someone even more crazy than I am.  Smile
11-23-2006, 04:47 PM,
And yet the "Truely Crazy" get certified to cut holes in the ice and jump in!! ;D ;D ;D :o  But that's third next on my agenda.
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!