Remember me
Lost Password Register

South Padre Island
11-24-2006, 09:57 PM,
South Padre Island
Am heading out to South Padre Island next weekend, for only two days of scuba....    Any suggestions as to the best places to dive would be appreciated....also any places to visit on shore.  Smile

11-25-2006, 07:17 AM,
Re: South Padre Island
About the closes good diving I can think of would be in Florida.  >Big Grin
                                                Al
11-25-2006, 09:19 AM,
Kinda a long boat ride don't you think, Al?  ;D
11-25-2006, 10:02 PM,
JoeV...You need to connect with Shooter...See the postings just below yours.  The one that says Dive S.P.I.
after all, that is the abreviation for South Padre Island.
American Diving is one of the two dive charters on the island.  Once you are at the marina on the South end of the island it's not hard to find them!  Dive trips usually get going early like about 0800 hours. 

Texas has a wonderful program called "Rigs to Reefs"  abandoned oil rigs are demo'ed and reclaimed by the ocean life.  There are also a wide variety of wrecks both intentionally sunk and real ones.  The American Diving Website will give you more info.  PM me and I will look up the paper copy info on SPI for you.
LW
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
11-26-2006, 12:03 PM,

Have you ever dove the Texas Riviera? ??? ???
11-26-2006, 12:13 PM,

Definitely talk to Tim at  American diving.  Don't  get to your  Hopes to fired up for going out on the boat. Getting a trip out in the wintertime can be 50-50 at best. Give American diving as much notice as you can as to when you're going to be there.  So if the weather does cooperate, they can line up some locals to go diving.  They need to have at least six on the boat or somebody with a fat wallet  :Smileto pay for six.
If you're going to rent a car I would recommend upgrading to an all-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive model.  There is excellent diving on the beach and you can drive your vehicle to different sites.  The jettys  right at South Padre Island are some good diving, but they can be rather crowded with fishermen at times.  I like to drive to the Port Mansfield jettis and if you research some of my posts on South Padre Island, you can get detailed trip reports and pictures.
Some of the best place to eat on the island are Dorado's restaurant and Blackbeard's restaurant.  Both of these will cook your fish catch for you fresh, along with all the trimmings.  Best Mexican restaurant on the island would be Palmetto's.

Talk to pam at American diving about a good place to stay with reasonable rates, tell her you want the "polar bear discount" should be able to get a good room for around 25 bucks a night.

If you want even more detailed information sent me a PM, and I'll get you my phone number or answer any and all questions that you have.