Remember me
Lost Password Register

Aeris.. NEW HEADS UP DISPLAY SCUBA DADDY's
12-21-2006, 12:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2006, 10:31 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
Aeris.. NEW HEADS UP DISPLAY SCUBA DADDY's
Several months ago, I read the info, on the newest greatest   HEADSUP DISPLAY MASK  (HUD)  well folks,   I saw it briefly at DEMA...   This thing is going to revolutionize  the industry.  Talk about James Bond...  this is it.

I asked the rep at DEMA who is carrying it, and he said the only SHOP IN MINNESOTA THAT HAS COMMITTED TO BUYING IT IS   SCUBA DADDY's.... in BURNSVILLE,   SO NEEDLESS TO SAY>...  for those that know me,   I PLACED THE FIRST ORDER IN MINNESOTA.
The main feature of the HUD...  is that it allows you to keep your eyes focused on the dive while presenting critical dive data.  TALK ABOUT STREAMLINING !

Some of the features also include:  current depth, elaspsed dive time, cylinder pressure, and dive time remaining.  The optical lens provides a clear , highly magnified image.  The LCD which will be bright and viewable regardless of enviromental conditions.  Info can  be seen clearly by the vast majorityof people, regardless of vision.  SO>>>   no more bi focal lens for me,   no more comptuer, no more depth gages etc,   

plus I can still download all my dive info. 

It allows you to have what the NAVY SEALS have been diving with for years.

I JUST COMMITTED TO BUYING ONE...   
Now I have some additional gear for sale.

So I should have it by April.  CAN'T wait.   

HAVE ANY OF YOU OTHER DIVERS LOOKED INTO THIS..   CHeck it out at AERIS. or  SCUBA DADDY's

Maxfactor
12-21-2006, 04:14 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2006, 04:31 PM by LKunze.)
Re: Aeris.. NEW HEADS UP DISPLAY SCUBBA DADDY's
Joe, I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket with that thing but that's just me.  I'd sure hate to get that mask knocked off underwater.  Seems awfully risky putting all of your vital information in one place that potentially could either fail or be lost all at once.  Rather than get rid of gear you may have already it may be a better idea to keep an SPG and bottom timer on for redundancy.  Just my two cents. Wink
12-21-2006, 04:26 PM,
That will make diving soooooo much easier!  It's really laboring to look at my spg.  And my compass and computer on my wrists. 
12-21-2006, 04:40 PM,
That's a good point.  Diving with a computer/bottom timer on one wrist and a compass on the other with an SPG clipped off on the left is hardly task loading.  For the gadget minded diver with extra money to blow the HUD mask would be fine but my real point is that I wouldn't trust my life to an HUD mask alone.  If it craps out for some reason, battery etc. and you have no redundancy you are screwed.  It seems to be a solution to a non-existant problem.  I'd rather save my money for some more fills or a trip.  Again, just my opinion.  My intent is not to rant.  Wink
12-21-2006, 05:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-21-2006, 10:28 PM by MAXFACTOR.)
Hi Lonnie   
As usual I agree with just about everything you ever say.  Of course I am always redundant, and would not be with as you know. 
But I also remember hearing people say they wouldn't be on rebreathers when the OC works just fine.   They are making these things pretty fail safe these days.  IE:  Our Navy Seals, Marine Force Recon, Air Force PJ, and combat controllers have been using these things for yeas to name a few. 

To my knowledge, I am not aware of any of them crappying out.  AND  FOR WHAT EVER THIS IS WORTH.....   HOW ABOUT THE FACT THAT .... certain teams are using NIGHT VISION UNDERWATER RIGHT NOW....  that cuts out lights,   and can see through the dark sea with no visible light source shinning the way.     HOW BOUT THAT.

All in all,  that technology is 10 times more technically advanced and already achieved then  a simple headsup display. 

Thats why us... civilians are now able to get it.   In about 5 -8 years,  maybe we will be able able to get night vision underwater masks with the headsup stuff, and the scrolling messsages across the masks as they have talked about. 

I think these things are going to have a definite market  in the US.   BUT AS THEY SAY..   time will tell.

maxfactor 
12-21-2006, 06:25 PM,
I saw it at 2005 DEMA and the technology is cool, but I'm won't spend $1000 on a mask.  My task load with weapon systems and dogfighting hasn't reached the point where I need it. Wait,  I'm not a fighter pilot, I'm a photographer.
I like the concept of the night vision, but how something to see through turbidity?
BTW I know about yellow lenses and black mask skirts.
12-21-2006, 10:41 PM,
Must be the same thing as the Oceanic computer intergrated mask.  A friend of mine ordered one of them at DEMA.  Looks cool.  Yea it is expensive, but compared to camera equipment and some of my other dive gear, it ain't bad....

I can see that this is not for everyone.  I would have to work pertty hard to convince myself I needed it, but there is always more room for gear.  I thought of two uses. 

First when taking photos I can get "tunnel vision."  I start seeing everything though the lens and I have to remind myself to look at my computer every so often.  Kind of cool to be able to look in the corner of my mask to find the info I needed, but the mask looks so big that it would be hard to see the viewfinder on my camera wearing that thing. 

My second idea would be to take the computer out of the mask that it comes in and put it into one of my Aga full face mask. It would be kind of nice to know how deep I was and how much air I had left on some of the zero vis dives I do.  Unfortunately, it is fully intergrated into the mask and can't be taken out and placed in other masks.  Bummer....

Max, enjoy your new toy.  And as with any new scuba toy, dive with a few backups....
12-26-2006, 02:23 PM,
Re: Aeris.. NEW HEADS UP DISPLAY SCUBA DADDY's
Ocean Reef Technology came up with a computer integrated full face mask about two years ago.  Neptune mask with the NIRA regulator, I don't recall who's computer or if they designed their own... Like the comm system, it's a bit out of my price range.  I wish I could find a "Small/Medium" mask.  My husband has the "Medium/ Large" and it's a little too large for me.                                                                 
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!