Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Superior New Years Day Dive
12-26-2006, 06:20 PM,
Lake Superior New Years Day Dive
Innerspace Scuba is getting people together for a dive in the Big Lake on New Years Day.  We're meeting at the Burger King parking lot on London Road at 11:30 AM.  Dive site will be determined by noon, pending lake conditions!

C'mon and dive!
12-26-2006, 06:26 PM,
Re: Lake Superior New Years Day Dive
FLYBOY...  I am going to be there ... thanks for the info. 

Hey Twin Cities Divers..... lets go for it.  Join these guys up there.

Lets get a group together.

maxfactor
12-27-2006, 11:01 AM,
I'm game but I don't recognize London Road. Duluth?

Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-27-2006, 01:35 PM,
Sorry...yes, in Duluth.

Forecast is looking good...29 degrees, maybe even with a bit of snow on the ground by then.  This is all pending on Lake conditions.  If she's in a bad mood, I know I'M not getting in!

Oh, no ice on the lake yet either...shore dive from somewhere around here.

Bill
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM,
Sounds good.

I've already gotten beaten to the rocks on exit. I don't need to do that again.
Ask your doctor if getting off your ass is right for you.
12-27-2006, 03:55 PM,
Me too.  This lake is weird...coming down the hill, you can see there are no whitecaps on the lake and think it's going to be a good entry/exit.  Then when you get close, there are huge "rollers" that don't break until they hit shore. 
12-29-2006, 08:13 AM,
What are the possible dive sites?  Just mud and rocks or what?
12-29-2006, 02:52 PM,
Yup...even if we do go up to Two Harbors and dive the breakwall, it'll be rock.  Can't get to any wrecks.  With this snow, the Madiera is probably not an option.
01-01-2007, 04:02 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-01-2007, 04:08 PM by flyboy65.)
We had a fabulous first dive of the year off the breakwall in Two Harbors.  Air temp was 33 degrees when we got there, and a stiff WNW at about 15 -20, and not a cloud in the sky.  After about a half hour of BSing and getting gear ready, the wind really dropped off, and there were just little ripples in the bay at that point.  Bumped into some divers from Lake Superior Divers.  Met a guy coming out of the water in a wetsuit by himself.  Had a freeflow right after giant striding into the water.  Long swim back for him! 

Walked the whole breakwall to the end...long haul...shoulda brought a ciggie for my reward for not having a heart attack...jumped in, and settled down around 55' or so.  Viz was especially good out there...I'd say 35'+.  Water temp was 39 degrees.

Great day to be out diving in the Big Lake!  Good to finally put a face to the name, Max!  Also, nice to meet your dive buddy, Hardy, from one of your LDS's down there.  Too bad it's such a long trip for you guys for just one dive, but it was a great dive!
01-01-2007, 06:02 PM,
Thanks FLYBOY....  What a nice bunch of divers.  I think there was a total of 9 divers up there. 

EXCELLENT DIVE...  the drive was well worth it.  Perfect conditions.  Post some of those pictures.  InnerSpace have a great bunch of guys, and thanks for all of the hospitality you showed me and Hardy.

Let me know if you guys are diving again on the weekends.  I'll gladly make the dive up there.  Really couldn't ask for better weather or water conditions.

maxfactor